HELP! Mo's eye is weird

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
So I should just get a non coiled bulb?
Hi, I would take it back and ask for a swap, some people say coiled are OK, but there is still old stock out there and too many reported problems - it's just too risky to gamble with your torts eyes.
For my leopard I use an mvb bulb which gives heat, light and uvb in one bulb. It is in a wide dome and hung vertically as you can adjust the temp by raising or lowering it (the side clamp fixtures can fail and be a fire hazard) At night I use a Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep. Also in a wide dome.
You will also find a digital temp gun more reliable for checking temps at tort level. They are not expensive from Amazon or hardware stores.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Since I'm only 14 so it's hard to get good money

I understand buddy, but like Lyn said just ask to swap it out. Be honest with them and they shouldn't give you any trouble. Let me know if you do have any.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Let me know how it goes at the pet store bud. Also send a picture of your enclosure if you get a chance, I'd love to see it. Big things your baby needs is, heat lamp, uvb bulb (strip or mercury vapor), a ceramic heat emitter to keep him warm at night and humidity

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't have a receipt thought... or the box

You'd also likely need to buy a new fixture to put your new light in - they can be costly too.

How do you have the bulb mounted now and what distance is it from the tortoise? Some orientations of CFL bulbs are safer than others. If you post photos of your enclosure/light set up, we may be able to help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't have a receipt thought... or the box
Will the box and receipt still be in your trash bin?
It's not that long since you bought it - may be worth checking.
I always keep packaging and receipts for a while in case of faults.
It is a gamble with your torts health to use the bulb and vets bills can be very expensive so have a good look just in case.