HELP! Mo's eye is weird

Zac dale

Hi, My leopard tortoise's eyes has a weird white thing underneath it. I'n not sure if this is normal... If not, please tell me how to cure it... ThanksIMG_1737.PNG IMG_1737.PNG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't tell if it's is swelling or just missing color. I'm guessing he may be rubbing his face. Do you see him rub his eyes/face a lot?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I think it would be useful if you provided some info regarding how your tortoise is kept? Is your lighting a CFL? Temp? Substrate?

Zac dale

I think it would be useful if you provided some info regarding how your tortoise is kept? Is your lighting a CFL? Temp? Substrate?
I'm using orchid bark as the top layer and coconut coir for bottom layer. I have one bulb for heat

Bee62

Germany
Zac dale said
I'm using orchid bark as the top layer and coconut coir for bottom layer. I have one bulb for heat

What about a bulb for UVB light ? Do you have one ?

Bee62

Germany
The UVB bulb is important for tortoises to have a healty shell. UVB and calcium ( cuttle bones ) need a tortoise or she will get soon very sick with a soft shell.

What tort specie is your little baby ?

The eye problem also can be a matter of none UVB light.

Bee62

Germany
@Zac dale
Sorry to say this, but your baby tort could get sick and die very quickly if it is not kept in the right way with warmth, light, UVB, humidity and food.
Please do what @cmac3 told you. I`m sure that you will not hurt your cute little baby tort.

Zac dale

@Zac dale
Sorry to say this, but your baby tort could get sick and die very quickly if it is not kept in the right way with warmth, light, UVB, humidity and food.
Please do what @cmac3 told you. I`m sure that you will not hurt your cute little baby tort.
Hey, just got a UVB light today! With a UVB x2 Dome
Hopefully that will help

Bee62

Germany
Zac dale said
Hopefully that will help

Well done ! Your baby tort will be happy about having UVB light.

Break the cuttle bone in really small pieces so your baby can eat them. At that age little torts are not strong enough to bite off some bits from a large cuttle bone. I use crushed cuttle bones for my little sulcata torts.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hopefully that will help

Hey buddy..what kind of uvb light did you get? Just wanting to check because coiled bulbs tend to have harmful effects on tortoises eyes. Just a heads up, strip lights and mercury vapor bulbs are best, they may be what you already have but I just wanted to check! That's a good looking leopard bud!

Zac dale

Hey buddy..what kind of uvb light did you get? Just wanting to check because coiled bulbs tend to have harmful effects on tortoises eyes. Just a heads up, strip lights and mercury vapor bulbs are best, they may be what you already have but I just wanted to check! That's a good looking leopard bud!
Oh gosh, I got the zoo-med coiled bulb...