Help! Mistreated tortoise

Rachel337

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada.
Hey guys, I came across a tortoise today that looked to be in bad shape. It was in a clothing store and appears to be the owners of the stores pet. The owner said that it was a Russian tortoise but I'm pretty sure it's a redfoot and corrected him on this. The tortoises beak was very over grown on the bottom which I didn't even know could happen, I wish I got a picture of this but I didn't want it to be super obvious that I was taking picture of it.

I live in Canada and it is not warm or humid here. The owner said they turn the heat up on the office it goes in at night but it has no humidity or UVB lamp or anything.

Basically I'm looking for advice on what I can do about this if there even is anything. The owner that I was talking to did seem to care and like he loved his tortoise, I think its just a case of lack of education especially if they think its a Russian. Maybe I'm over reacting and its not that bad but he just seems like he has a low quality of life.

20170425_125825.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
without a good source of UVB the tortoise will eventually develop Metabolic Bone disorder a serious problem so you're right to be concerned. I don't know how that is with their laws regarding animals but you could always reporting to whatever Authority is in charge of animal Care. another option would be to just continue educating the owners I imagine this is a case of ignorance and not
malfeasance

Rachel337

Alberta, Canada.
without a good source of UVB the tortoise will eventually develop Metabolic Bone disorder a serious problem so you're right to be concerned. I don't know how that is with their laws regarding animals but you could always reporting to whatever Authority is in charge of animal Care. another option would be to just continue educating the owners I imagine this is a case of ignorance and not
malfeasance

Yea I think I'll try dropping off some care sheets with some information.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I feel very sorry for it. I hope you can help, and thanks for trying and caring. Keep us posted!