Help me please !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I want to get me a tortoise, i like the russian turtoise because they dont grow as big as a sarcata tortoise.

I have been reading on the forums but i am confused as to what people are talking about, for example, someone mentioned that they found a WC tortoise at a petshop? im confused.
Others explain the type of food they eat but they dont explain where they buy these certain foods, ect.

Anyways i would like some expert opinions.

1- Should i buy a russian turtoise at a petshop ?
2- What's is the average cost of a russian tortoise ?
3- I prefer a baby russian tortoise. before buying, whats the biggest he should be?
4- Before buying the tortoise what are signs of a good healthy tortoise ?
5- I plan to buy a plastic 20 gallon rubbermaid for the tortoise, is this good enough for the time being?
6- Where can i find information on how to set up his/her home and what they should eat and where can i buy the food ?

any information at all that you can provide me it would very appreciated.

Please be as detailed as possible, and if you can provide locations, pictures, ect. it would help me better to understand.

thank you.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
First check out the enclosure section of our forum - like
Today's upgrades and changes by JustAnja
My enclosures by cvalda
and Tort/Turt Tables

There is some good info on Lighting and heating etc.
There is a section on food in the forum.

WC means wild caught. Pet stores usually sell adult torts that are imports and have been caught in the wild there is no way of telling how they were handled, transported, if they are well or have large parasite loads (lots of worms etc.) or how old they are. A CB is a Captive Bred Tortoise. These are usually gotten form a breeder. They know the history of their tort as they have bred and raised it from an egg. A reputable breeder can usually tell you if it is a male or female by the temp it was incubated, unless it was naturally incubated. Young hatchlings (torts less than a year) are more difficult to care for than an older tort. Their first years are critical to their long term health. I have seen adult WC Russian in Pet stores from $69.00 to $125.00. However if you can adopt a Russian even better.

For a Hatchling or yearling I personally would go to a breeder or someone who raises Russians if you can. That way you know you are getting the best cared for tort you can.

Food - a lot of us grow our own food. If you are in an area were it snows a lot winter is more difficult and there are places that sell tort food such as reptileeats who is on our forum or try and use organic foods.
Russians are herbivores- No meat or proteins like cat food.

At this time I would suggest you continue doing research on Russians. Read all the forms here there is some really good advice on them and get a good book on Russians –Amazon has some. I have had torts and turtles since I was a kid ( I’m over 50) and am still finding new things out. I think Torts are better cared for today than ever. And so they should be.

Oh, and keep asking questions.:D

PS- Welcome to the forum

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Crazy1 said:
First check out the enclosure section of our forum - like
Today's upgrades and changes by JustAnja
My enclosures by cvalda
and Tort/Turt Tables

There is some good info on Lighting and heating etc.
There is a section on food in the forum.

WC means wild caught. Pet stores usually sell adult torts that are imports and have been caught in the wild there is no way of telling how they were handled, transported, if they are well or have large parasite loads (lots of worms etc.) or how old they are. A CB is a Captive Bred Tortoise. These are usually gotten form a breeder. They know the history of their tort as they have bred and raised it from an egg. A reputable breeder can usually tell you if it is a male or female by the temp it was incubated, unless it was naturally incubated. Young hatchlings (torts less than a year) are more difficult to care for than an older tort. Their first years are critical to their long term health. I have seen adult WC Russian in Pet stores from $69.00 to $125.00. However if you can adopt a Russian even better.

For a Hatchling or yearling I personally would go to a breeder or someone who raises Russians if you can. That way you know you are getting the best cared for tort you can.

Food - a lot of us grow our own food. If you are in an area were it snows a lot winter is more difficult and there are places that sell tort food such as reptileeats who is on our forum or try and use organic foods.
Russians are herbivores- No meat or proteins like cat food.

At this time I would suggest you continue doing research on Russians. Read all the forms here there is some really good advice on them and get a good book on Russians –Amazon has some. I have had torts and turtles since I was a kid ( I’m over 50) and am still finding new things out. I think Torts are better cared for today than ever. And so they should be.

Oh, and keep asking questions.:D

PS- Welcome to the forum

Great post!

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am still doing research on tortoise, but meanwhile i have been searching through all the petshops in my area for "russian tortoise" and i have found only 1 tortoise at around 5-7inches long. Nobody is carrying them, is it because theya re hybernating through the winter ?

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am located in Florida, Miami.

Id prefer to buy a baby 2-3 inch russian tortoise

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
Here are a few FL places to try.

Turtles & Tortoises Inc 727-534-3004

Herps Limited
TOM CRUTCHFIELD @ 239-645-9661
10760 Biscayne Blvd. Miami, Florida

Ben Siegal Reptiles
Deerfield Beach, Fl
retail shop phone is 954-427-2938
http://www.albinonile.com/

This guy is in Tampa and has CB Russian adults and yearlings right now
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=561699

thanks for the info, i will definetly call around.

if i can not find one within 2-3inches long, when should they normally be avaliable ?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Check listings on www.craigslist.org I often see listings in Florida for torts. Maybe you can adopt one from there if you are lucky!

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i called all the numbers today and i checked on craiglist and nobody seems to have any baby russian from 2-3 inches long. :(

any other ideas ?

I have already checked every single petshop in my area, and nobody has any either.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Your other option is to check out the classified ads on www.kingsnake.com and see if you can find a breeder there.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
You may just have to be patient or pick another type of tortoise to look for. Most folks have their breeders down and hibernating this time of year and have sold off all of their hatchlings until next year.

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
stells said:
have you considered a greek tortoise

I have not really looked into this tortoise, should they be easier to find than russian's ?

cause i havent seen any at pet stores.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Speak for yourself Anja :p I still have hatchlings from this year and getting more. It got to cold to ship :D
I've got mostly Greek tortoise hatchlings of a few different types, pancake tortoises and spider tortoises. :D

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
Speak for yourself Anja :p I still have hatchlings from this year and getting more. It got to cold to ship :D
I've got mostly Greek tortoise hatchlings of a few different types, pancake tortoises and spider tortoises. :D

Danny

I said MOST Danny! LOL :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you still haven't found one, PM me and I can give you the name of somebody that last I knew had several hatchlings. Not sure if they are of age to ship yet, but you could maybe place an order, have a long distance type ownership until the weather is warm enough to ship.

Kumitsu

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
If you still haven't found one, PM me and I can give you the name of somebody that last I knew had several hatchlings. Not sure if they are of age to ship yet, but you could maybe place an order, have a long distance type ownership until the weather is warm enough to ship.

Actually i went with a african tortoise.

I am feeding him, romaine lettuce, collard greens, baby spinach. thats it for the moment.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kumitsu said:
Actually i went with a african tortoise.

I am feeding him, romaine lettuce, collard greens, baby spinach. thats it for the moment.

Would this be a sulcata?
What size did you get?
You will definitely want to vary his diet and try to stay away from too much spinach. Maybe use red leaf lettuce instead and some endive, or chicory. Maybe some ground up hay sprinkled on its greens or some wheat grass from the Pet store (I think they sell it for cats and dogs to munch on at least at Petco and Petsmart).

Status
Not open for further replies.