Help me Keep Leo a healthy Ninja

Erin.H

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone!

New tortoise keeper. I just got Leonardo at the beginning of August and have been doing all kinds of research etc to try to keep him as healthy as possible.

Leo was 2.5 inches and 44 grams August 8th and he is now pushing 60 grams and 3 inches Sept 7th. He is an Eastern Hermanns from what I can tell.

My current set-up / routine:

-currently a mixture of coconut fiber and "forest floor" substrate.

- water dish gets replaced every morning

-i mist him and the substrate twice a day

-1/8th of a tsp of Zoomed's reptivite every saturday.

- 1/8th of a tsp of Flukers Repta-calcium 4 days a week

-i blended up Baby romaine mixture, kale, brussel sprouts, endives, cucumber, radicchio, arugula, plantain, and dandelion greens and then froze them in an ice cube tray. It can eat about 1 per day so far. I only give little tomatoes, and maybe a strawberry like once a week if any.

-If in the evening he is looking for food, I moisten up a Zoo Med grassland pellet for him to eat.

-He has a cuttle bone for extra calcium and I have noticed he nibbles at it.

-Compiled a spreadsheet of 120 plants tortoises can eat from "tortoise table" and i'm planning on finding dried versions of them and making a bulk dry mixture of food that can be stored easily and then moistened when needed.

- Every week when I notice the substrate has dried out I take around 4 cups of water and mix it into the substrate to re-moisten it

-He has a UVA/B heat lamp, I also have a plant light in his enclosure but im not sure if this will remain.

I really really want to prevent Leo from pyramiding and getting upper respiratory infections. If you have any advice, please let me know!

Also, at 3 inches, should a Hermanns have a rock hard shell, or should it be hard ontop, with a bit of give underneath?

Uploading pictures of Leo and its enclosure.

-Erin

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    590 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome Erin!
I don't know much about Hermans
It's normal for a baby tortoise to have a pliable plastron. (Shell underneath)
The container you are keeping him in is entirely too small and that log is too tall to use in that enclosure. Your tortoise could climb on it and fall out of the enclosure.
What type of lighting do you have?

Erin.H

Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Sorry for not replying! I'm doing my masters degree and hardly have time for much.
Leo has since got a new enclosure, a Zoomed 'Tortoise House' (Picture attached).
Leo is now a little over a year old, 4 inches long and weighs 117 grams.
Please check out his pictures and let me know if his shell looks like it is growing okay for a 1 year old.
As for lighting, I have a 100W Powersun Heat/UVA/UBB lamp.

Attachments

• leo3.png
    leo3.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
  • leo1.png
    leo1.png
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • leo2.png
    leo2.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 13