HELP! Last ditch effort for my Leo baby

TheGreatGatsby

Hi everyone! Well, I thought I had done enough research to be well-prepared to provide my internet-ordered leopard hatchling with the correct habitat. We kept humidity right around 80%, basking at 95ish, cold side 80. But little Groot hasn't grown in the three months we have had him and has become lethargic and does not eat the way he used to. I did more research on this forum and found that he needed to have been started humid by the breeder to be given the best chance at a healthy life. I called the breeder last Friday and they said that they keep all of their hatchlings very dry. I was heartbroken.

His shell has become discolored and has softened in the past month. Right now I am soaking him with a couple drops of liquid calcium in his bath every morning but I was wondering if there's anything at all that anyone could suggest? I am so heartbroken because to me, a hatchling should be a promise of a lifetime friend. Here I was about to put him in my will! And he might not even live to be an adolescent?!?

Any advice or questions about how we keep him now are welcomed. Please help me.

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
What about UVB light? Diet? Basking temp could come up a little. What substrate are you using? What supplements are you giving? (Besides the calcium drops you are now putting in his water) How often were you soaking before?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a sad way to have to welcome you to the Forum. I'm so sorry your new little leopard tortoise isn't doing well.

You've got the right idea with the calcium - it does sound like its a lack of calcium making the baby the way he is. Are you aware that calcium just gets excreted out in the urine if the tortoise doesn't get vitamin d3 from either the sun or a good UVB light?

I use the Mercury Vapor light because it provides UVB with heat, so I only need one fixture.

Since your baby probably isn't eating, maybe you can put a drop or two of liquid calcium in his mouth? Then get him out into the sun for an hour or so every day.

You can also add a half jar of Gerber strained carrots to the soaking water. This will get a little bit of nutrients into his system.

Do you know of a good tortoise vet in your town? It's time to seek professional help.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry to hear this. We here on this forum are trying to teach people the errors of our old ways, but some of the old timers persist. Please let your breeder know what you have learned here. Your comments might not make a difference, but if enough unhappy customers call with the same problem, it might eventually make them reconsider and learn a little more.

Be prepared for the breeder to blame this on you. They will explain that the baby was fine while they had it. What they fail to understand is that this babies fate was sealed in its first few dehydrated days and weeks. Don't take it personally, these people really don't know any better and don't understand yet. Someone has got to explain it to them. The first person will likely be rebuffed, dismissed or ignored, but that first person plants a seed. When they start hearing the same thing over and over again from multiple sources, most of them clue in.

I hope you stick around and we can help you with the next one.

ShannonC

South Carolina
If only we could point all the "old-style" breeders to this forum! I did a lot of research before getting my first tortoise too, but luckily I found this place, and everyone speaks from experience, which I feel is better than any instructional book or website! I am so glad I landed here!! I am glad you found this place too Great Gatsby!!! I hope your baby can be helped by all the experience here!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry you are experiencing this. I lost 2 this way last year. It is absolutely heartbreaking. Some of them pull through, continue with the best husbandry you can provide. I will hope for the best for you. From the information I received, there is nothing a vet can do. The baby is unable to absorb the calcium. I would get him natural sunshine an hour or so a day. Best wishes your way.

TheGreatGatsby

Hi everyone and thank you for your responses so far. I'll try to get Groot out in the sun more, it's just been cold lately here in colorado.

As for our care so far, I have a UVB tube light and a CHE that points straight down on him. I feed him greens (all the ones recommended on here) mixed with the alfalfa pellets that you soak in water and sprinkle calcium powder with D3 every other day on that mix.

We use a hygrometer that rests inside the tank and a laser temp reader. His substrate is a mix of coco coir, sphagnum moss, and the little red wood chips, all in different areas in his set-up. I've soaked him every day (except for maybe 4 or 5) since we got him.

I will also definitely try drop into his mouth and soaking with strained carrots.

I'm not giving up yet, but I do realize it doesn't look good for him.

Thanks everyone and please keep the suggestions coming.

I also have a russian who is happy as a clam and a new redfoot who is older and absolutely wonderful. Also following instructions found on here to take care of them specifically for their species :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I wish the best for you and the little one. Sounds like everything is right, just a tough start for Groot

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Oh no! I had wondered how he was doing. So sorry...when you're ready for your next tortoise baby you have a bunch of breeders here that have healthy babies to choose from. Again, so sorry.

M

Maggie Cummings

And no alfalfa pellets for the next one. They are bad news for torts. Please get your next baby here. Better breeders here. Sorry about Grout, that's hard to take.