Help identifying some common weeds

Ms. A

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California's Central Valley
I think a couple of these are sow thistle but I want confirmation for future references (and so I can refer to them by something other than weeds :))

(I see these around but have no clue of the name)
076.JPG075.JPG

(these next three, I think are sow thistle, yea or nay?
072.JPG 073.JPG 074.JPG

(these two are a little spiky/slightly prickly and purple-ish) almost looks like a purple dandelion
070.JPG
071.JPG

Thank you for your time!
:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, its quite ok to have several large pictures. What bugs me is when many thumbnails are posted because they don't open up right away for me. I have to sit there for what seems like many minutes waiting for the picture to open.

I'm not thinking properly this a.m. and can't come up with names for you, however, all the weeds you've pictured are edible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't remember the name of the first or third ones, but they are both edible and good.

I call the second one dandelion. Also good tortoise food.

Sorry I'm not more help with the names, but at least you've got lots of good free tort food. :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Ms. A @veromclane

I meant to post some time ago but could not remember the plant name!

From the fuzzy appearance and the little bumps on the leaves, I believe the plant in Ms. A's first picture is Bristly Ox Tongue, listed as safe to feed in the Tortoise Table database: http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=64.

Some more info: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/bristly_oxtongue.html.

The flowers Veromclane posted in their first three photos are from the same plant. It also says most tortoises won't eat it; mine hasn't but she is picky! She has eaten a few of the flowers but I'm not lugging that plant home for a few flowers! It's too bad, as it's probably the easiest weed for me to get right now.