Help Identifying My Tortoise

HaydenIvester

Hello,
I'm entirely new to this. Never owned any sort of reptile, but my girlfriend and I decided to bring a tortoise home from her work about a week ago. Things are going well so far, but I'm having trouble identifying her. I think she's a Russian tortoise, but my friend says she looks more like the Greek. What do you think?

Screenshot_20170522-174330.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please read the adult Russian caresheet. The proper enclosure would have some humidity and the cardboard hide won't do.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
100% Russian. Tom's threads are probably the best care sheets out there. Follow them diligently, and you will have a healthy tortoise.

If you post pictures of the tail area on the bottom of the shell, we can confirm if your tortoise is male or female.

Last edited:

HaydenIvester

Please read the adult Russian caresheet. The proper enclosure would have some humidity and the cardboard hide won't do.

The cardboard was only temporary. She's got an entirely new layout that she seems to be liking a lot more lol. It's not ideal but we will continue to upgrade her space as we have the money for it.

Attachments

• 20170524_171656.jpg
    20170524_171656.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12

HaydenIvester

Thanks again for your input everyone! I've never owned a reptile so I certainly don't mind any advice you have for me. I glanced over both of those care info threads. Again, based on those, I think things are going well so far.
My girlfriend and i have talked from time to time about a small garden, so we'll definitely look into some of those different weeds and things that we can grow for her.
Think we're gonna name her Leia!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The cardboard was only temporary. She's got an entirely new layout that she seems to be liking a lot more lol. It's not ideal but we will continue to upgrade her space as we have the money for it.
I understand the money situation. However, an adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure and actually bigger if possible. Some people to a second level with a ramp to it if they don't have the floor space to do a 4x8 on the floor.
Also, it will be a lot cheaper and not a waist of money if you don't buy the crap the pet stores sell for tortoises. They don't have a clue. Like an aquarium is only good for hatchlings. That water dish is not big enough for her to self soak in and for smaller tortoise its a drowning hazard. Clay saucers that are used for under flower pots are the best for a water dish and the cheapest enclosures are putting large plastic storage totes together to make the proper size. Using a tunnel to connect the 2,3, or more together or any other creative way you can come up with.