Box turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It might be a mexican box turtle. I've never seen any with that carapace pattern. Let's ask @HermanniChris if he's seen this type turtle.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Box turtle without a doubt and definitely looks like a hybrid wither Three Toed box X Eastern Box or Three Toed Box X Gulf Coast Box. We see a lot of the Three Toed X Gulf Coast hybrids a lot in the southern and midwest states. It's not a T. mexicana and definitely not a T. coahuila.

Agne

that is definitely an eastern box turtle
when it was younger it was born with no pigment maybe

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I agree with Hermanni Chris. Very much looks like my gulf coast/three toed integrade boxie. Same shell pattern and everything.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Like I said, not a pure eastern and there's no doubt about that and unfortunately having only 4 of a species to go by doesn't hold much value in the proper and precise identification of any chelonian. You of course can learn a lot from as little as one animal but until you've witnessed a very high number of specimens from countless areas across their geographical range, it's simply not feasible to assume something.

If you want to go off a "technicality", then sure it's an "eastern" but it's a subspecies of it. It is not the full nominate race hence the reason for a cross between the taxonomically noted subspecies.