Help identify this tortoise

Monmo316

We just saw him on our front porch steps and are wondering what kind of tortoise is he and any information will help thank you!

image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Florida is pretty strict about their Gopher tortoises. You'd best put it back outside in a safe place and leave it alone. Are you in a rural area?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Maybe...But in the seven months that I've been in Florida I haven't seen ANY that didn't look dark gray and smooth like that. Kinda weird.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Definitely a Gopher tortoise. There's no question about it. Let's all always keep in mind that nature will always and forever surprise us with variation. We can't always pay attention to color or markings. We need to focus more on structure, shape, geography and other traits pertaining to phenotypes. That animal certainly is a Gopher tortoise.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Definitely a Gopher tortoise. There's no question about it. Let's all always keep in mind that nature will always and forever surprise us with variation. We can't always pay attention to color or markings. We need to focus more on structure, shape, geography and other traits pertaining to phenotypes. That animal certainly is a Gopher tortoise.
Ok. So structurally it doesn't look like the ones in my neighborhood either. Ours have shells shaped like old German army helmets. The edge schutes on their sides aren't upswept?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's a younger animal. These are traits assignable to its age group.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ok. So structurally it doesn't look like the ones in my neighborhood either. Ours have shells shaped like old German army helmets. The edge schutes on their sides aren't upswept?
The German helmets make me think of... boxturles???... but then I maybe way off on it! Still having to learn a lot about tortoises/turtles!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
The German helmets make me think of... boxturles???... but then I maybe way off on it! Still having to learn a lot about tortoises/turtles!

No definitely gopher tortoises. Seen them on a program lately and they look just like mine in my neighborhood.... They found one 18 inches long!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
The gopher tortoise I know is a really very old, and tan and brown. He originated in Florida. So I suppose there's all kinds of variation :)