Help! I have inherited two Russian Torts (a male and female), 10 yrs old, rough shape

Debo

So someone kept these two RT's in their basement for about ten years. The female is larger and can only move her front legs, she just drags the rest of her body. The male is now separated from her and spends every waking minute trying to get out of his outdoor enclosure. He doesn't even stop to eat!
They have never had their beaks or nails trimmed, although I have been doing my research and doing what I can as I locate a reptile vet. My plea for help is finding ways to rehab the female who has been so bullied by the male her whole life that she rarely comes out of her shell. I have found a good home for the male since he seems healthier. How can I help the female? Her nails are shorter now, she eats daily, and seems to enjoy her bath. I can't get her to move unless she's in the warm water. Do you think she can be brought back to health (if she ever was healthy)? I will do my best to attach photos of them here as well, she's the one in the grass. Appreciate any and all suggestions!

male escapee.JPG male tort 2016.JPG tort 2016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They don't look too bad. They need beak trims, but hydration, a good diet and some sunshine should get them back on track.

Where do you live? Different advice for Miami vs. Seattle.

Debo

Upstate New York. They've been in an outdoor enclosure for a month now, and the best diet I can create for them. Is it normal for a female to not be able to use her hind legs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Upstate New York. They've been in an outdoor enclosure for a month now, and the best diet I can create for them. Is it normal for a female to not be able to use her hind legs?

No. Not normal. Usually a sign of MBD (Metabolic bone disease) caused by lack of UVB to form D3, or lack of calcium. It can also be a sign of severe constipation. Daily soaks will help if that is the case, and they won't hurt if that is not the case.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If they were housed together the female could be egg bound. I'd imagine that can cause hind limb paralysis, like any other blockage (kidney stone, severe constipation etc)

If it is MBD their shells are in surprisingly good condition. I'd do what Tom says and give lots of soaks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So someone kept these two RT's in their basement for about ten years. The female is larger and can only move her front legs, she just drags the rest of her body. The male is now separated from her and spends every waking minute trying to get out of his outdoor enclosure. He doesn't even stop to eat!
They have never had their beaks or nails trimmed, although I have been doing my research and doing what I can as I locate a reptile vet. My plea for help is finding ways to rehab the female who has been so bullied by the male her whole life that she rarely comes out of her shell. I have found a good home for the male since he seems healthier. How can I help the female? Her nails are shorter now, she eats daily, and seems to enjoy her bath. I can't get her to move unless she's in the warm water. Do you think she can be brought back to health (if she ever was healthy)? I will do my best to attach photos of them here as well, she's the one in the grass. Appreciate any and all suggestions!

View attachment 184671 View attachment 184672 View attachment 184673
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Cute torts, GOD bless.

I'd suggest seeing a vet asap; as far as the female is concerned: "better be safe than sorry."

Please keep us updated.

Debo

When she's in the soak can she move the legs?
Thanks for the response! Yes, she can move her legs, just has no strength in them to support her weight. She poops...a LOT! Every day in her warm water bath and often again afterwards. At least I can rule constipation out.

Debo

If they were housed together the female could be egg bound. I'd imagine that can cause hind limb paralysis, like any other blockage (kidney stone, severe constipation etc)

If it is MBD their shells are in surprisingly good condition. I'd do what Tom says and give lots of soaks.
Thank you - appreciate the advice. Her previous owner did say she lays eggs once in a while. Hopefully the vet can rule that out....

Debo

No. Not normal. Usually a sign of MBD (Metabolic bone disease) caused by lack of UVB to form D3, or lack of calcium. It can also be a sign of severe constipation. Daily soaks will help if that is the case, and they won't hurt if that is not the case.
She's a regular pooper, always in her bath. Thank you! I will get her to a vet early next week.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks for the response! Yes, she can move her legs, just has no strength in them to support her weight. She poops...a LOT! Every day in her warm water bath and often again afterwards. At least I can rule constipation out.
My Russian was kind of like that when I got her also. Calcium, sunshine and a good diet will help. You can also hold her up in the water and let her kick her legs around for strengthening the legs. I've heard that Russians can swim but mine sunk like a rock. So don't let her go :) make sure she has firm surface is to walk on, pack down the dirt or whatever substrate you're using with your hand.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Yes, hydrotherapy has been used with great success for torts with hind limb weakness on here. I wouldn't recommend it unless someone on here with experience guides you through it. Just in case!

Once you get her to a vet and discover the cause of the hind limb weakness, it would be worth discussing hydrotherapy. If the weakness is caused by the muscles atrophying due to a previous illness then hydrotherapy would be ideal in my non-professional, inexperienced opinion. :p

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@leigti since you have experience maybe you can help? I considered it for my RF for the overall health benefits but I'm too much of a scaredy cat. :p

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I am a physical therapist :) so I have some experience with people and animals. X-rays are a good idea, I had my tortoise x-rayed and it showed that she did not have MBD or any fractures. And she did not have any eggs so she wasn't egg bound. The x-ray was quite interesting. Just plain week. She came to me in A little bit of rough shape.
But if she does have movement in the legs, whether it's neurological or not, a little hydrotherapy would be good for her. Just hold her up enough to keep her head above water and to take away a little bit of the gravity that she's fighting against when walking on land. Make sure her claws aren't too long so she can have normal foot placement. And don't have the water too hot, just Luke warm at the most. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. And be interested to see what the vet says also.

Debo

So I took the tortoises to a reptile vet today. The female has an abnormal top shell which he suspects has caused some spinal cord damage leading to lack of use of her hind legs. He actually suggested using super glue and gluing an all terrain wheel and axle from hot cars so she can pull herself around!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
So I took the tortoises to a reptile vet today. The female has an abnormal top shell which he suspects has caused some spinal cord damage leading to lack of use of her hind legs. He actually suggested using super glue and gluing an all terrain wheel and axle from hot cars so she can pull herself around!
Sorry to hear of the permanent damage.
But the wheel thing, or similar has been done many times.
For example http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oise-wheels-owner-caught-garden-strimmer.html
or http://newsfirst.lk/english/2015/06/disabled-tortoise-fitted-with-wheels/100175
These torts seem to manage just fine.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Sorry about the news. :(

It's good that there isn't a blockage. Severe blockages can be very dangerous, even life-threatening, requiring surgery if the tort can't pass it. With the wheels to improve mobility she could have a long, happy, healthy life. So I'm glad she's okay in that sense!

I wonder if the deformity is congenital instead of being caused by husbandry issues. As I said before their shells are in great condition for torts with MBD, and that's usually what causes the paralyzing shell abnormalities.

Debo

Sorry about the news. :(

It's good that there isn't a blockage. Severe blockages can be very dangerous, even life-threatening, requiring surgery if the tort can't pass it. With the wheels to improve mobility she could have a long, happy, healthy life. So I'm glad she's okay in that sense!

I wonder if the deformity is congenital instead of being caused by husbandry issues. As I said before their shells are in great condition for torts with MBD, and that's usually what causes the paralyzing shell abnormalities.
Sent she was with the mail at a day old and kept with him as she grew, my guess is he was always on her back so it literally did not get to grow into the dome shaped like it was supposed to