Help! How to get Vaseline off my tortoise's shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
Ok before you all kick me I already kicked myself. I put a little bit of vaseline on my russian's shell this morning after reading a book that said it was good for her shell once a month. Then I came on here and saw that someone asked about that in the desert tortoise section and it is bad for their shell. Is there a way to safely get the vaseline off of her shell?

Don't worry I already threw away the book.

Randee

jhaddad04

5 Year Member
not meaning any offense but how about some water and a paper towel?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Don't be so hard on yourself Randee because I didn't know that would be bad for their shell either. Why is it bad for their shell anyway and are we positive about that or is it just an opinion? :rolleyes: Anyway I should think that the paper towel would be fine. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's fine for the shell :) The scute material is like our fingernails and some people cover their nails all the time. The scute material is just a covering for the boney shell, it is alive but doesn't need to "breathe".
So no need to go crazy trying to get it off. :D

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I think the biggest problem is that it attracts dirt, and can also cause the tortoise to overheat.

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
hanks for all your replies.... Ok I won't worry so much. She has hides to hide under so I am sure she isn't overheating. She actually still stayed under the lamp basking today and seemed ok.

Randee :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.