Help! horsefield not eating and always sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessm10

5 Year Member
I'm worried about my 1 year old Horsefield , She never eats and always sleeps. Also when we give her a bath she poos out some gooey yellow stuff, like mucus , i have no idea what it is but i'm certain it isn't healthy . We have fresh food , water available with calcium suppliment 4 times a week. And have uv and reflector bulbs on at times they should be and set on a 12 hour timer . I don't see how this helps as it sleeps all of it's life. She isn't hibernating , if i move her into the basking area she wakes up and walks back to their bed. I have a 7yo male who does the same but will eat a little bit once in every 4 days .
Temp is:35 degrees celcius in basking area. They have a cool area with soil to bury in and also a hide.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
jessm10 said:
I'm worried about my 1 year old Horsefield , She never eats and always sleeps. Also when we give her a bath she poos out some gooey yellow stuff, like mucus , i have no idea what it is but i'm certain it isn't healthy . We have fresh food , water available with calcium suppliment 4 times a week. And have uv and reflector bulbs on at times they should be and set on a 12 hour timer . I don't see how this helps as it sleeps all of it's life. She isn't hibernating , if i move her into the basking area she wakes up and walks back to their bed. I have a 7yo male who does the same but will eat a little bit once in every 4 days .
Temp is:35 degrees celcius in basking area. They have a cool area with soil to bury in and also a hide.

I would probably consult the vet at this point.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How long have you had her? Where did you get her from? has she ever seen a vet? the greenish yellow poo sounds like parasites to me, possibly a parasite bloom. Any pictures?

jessm10

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
How long have you had her? Where did you get her from? has she ever seen a vet? the greenish yellow poo sounds like parasites to me, possibly a parasite bloom. Any pictures?
she came from a pet shop. there wasnt any info on weather or not she had been wormed. was eatting loads to start with then stopped.. so i wormed her. and still nothing.. jst this yellow poo.. looks more like egg ocky yellow. sorry no photos as yet will have to wait till her next bath.

jessm10

5 Year Member
They eat for like the first day and then just stop and sleep all day and night i don't understand why :\

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
take pictures of your set up and post here.. maybe we will see something that needs changing..
Do you use a coil bulb?
Something isnt right... too cold? not offering what they want to eat? what did you worm them with? was it tort safe? Some are Not.

jessm10

5 Year Member
WP_000097.jpgWP_000098.jpgWP_000099.jpgWP_000100.jpg

here are the pics of the setup :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kikokoko

5 Year Member
the guy seems to have eyes closed

Please check if parasite problem (worms) by fecal analysis
If positive, immediate de-worming

ad let soak him to rehidrate

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
kikokoko said:
the guy seems to have eyes closed

Please check if parasite problem (worms) by fecal analysis
If positive, immediate de-worming

ad let soak him to rehidrate
I'm a newbie myself, but isn't 100 degrees a little high?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
As long as they can move closer and farther, the 100d basking are should be ok, it can be closer to 95. However, the round thermometers are not very accurate, so you should consider getting a digital one or an Infared PE 1 temp gun (about $25 on line). It would be good to make sure your temps are actually accurate.
The substrate in the middle looks like wood chips; what are these? You might get rid of the wood chips and replace with topsoil or coir, like you have on the log end.
Aspen in the one hide is fine.
Make sure she is not being intimidated by the male; one male to one female can be rough on the female. The female will just hide away all of the time.
You did worm her once, and sometimes they have a set back for a few weeks after. When did you worm them?
I do agree that a visit to the vet is a good idea for an exam and another fecal test, especially with the color of the poo that you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.