Help (he ate a worm)

Thomas Fanelli

I was outside with my Tunisian Spur-Thighed Tortoise and it dug a small worm out of the ground and ate it...Should I be concerned??! Please respond asap I'm worried. I thought they were vegetarian, I feed them kale daily.

Thomas Fanelli

I was outside with my Tunisian Spur-Thighed Tortoise and it dug a small worm out of the ground and ate it...Should I be concerned??! Please respond asap I'm worried. I thought they were vegetarian, I feed them kale daily.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503265477.992371.jpg

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I wouldn't be worried about it. What I would recommend is more variety in what you feed it, and more healthy diet. Chances are that he ate it because he's not getting the correct diet. I've never kept a Tunisian spur thighed tortoise though.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Totally fine, unless pesticides are used. This is a common misconception. They are largely vegan, but it isn't unheard of for tortoises to eat carrion, bone, or bugs. These shouldn't be incorporated into the diet, but no worries if it happens naturally.

Loritort

A tortie eating a worm is not that bad! The member posted three times so my initial thought was maybe the tortie was seriously injured or worse.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Thomas, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Pretty little tortoise if a little bumpy.
The worm is nothing to worry about, as has been said, but I would certainly recommend you reading.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
I think he may be being kept too dry, make sure he is kept humid and has frequent soaks.
For diet, I like http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
the ones in bold are the best.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
I have several varieties of tortoises - all living outdoors. All tortoises will consume meat / bugs / carrion / eggs , on occasion. Mine eat a large variety of just about whatever grows.

Their systems can handle a great variety in small quantities.

They've also been known to eat socks, plastic , styrofoam , baby toys, dust bunnies , & paper clips : so ... often not very discriminating ( so watch 'em !)

I wouldn't worry at all.

A varied diet , with mainly the recommended greens with keep them healthy.

Good fortune to you & your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was outside with my Tunisian Spur-Thighed Tortoise and it dug a small worm out of the ground and ate it...Should I be concerned??! Please respond asap I'm worried. I thought they were vegetarian, I feed them kale daily.

Hello and welcome Thomas!

The I agree with everyone else that the worm is of no concern. What is greatly concerning is that you are feeding kale as a main part of the diet. This is not good. Kale is okay as a small part of the diet once in a while, but not every day. If you must use grocery store greens, favor endive and escarole, but use lots of variety. I typed this thread up for sulcatas, but if you scroll down past the initial text, there is a list of good tortoise foods that you can use to improve your tortoise's diet. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please go into your user profile and type in a location so we have a general idea about where in the world you are. Different advice for Tunisia vs. Tasmania...