Help, given bad information

Mattd

So, I bought Derek (assuming he's male, was never actually told) over a year a go. The shop was not a very good one and told me basically nothing except 'feed him and use these lights'
I'm now in a position where I've researched more and realised I'm doing it all wrong.
He has a 3ft vivarium and is getting way too big for it and I need to find him a new suitable home but don't know what to look for. Also, I'm trying to improve his diet, during the summer we grow food for him in the garden but what is the best food to buy in the winter?
Thanks for any help I get.

Forgot to mention, he is a horsfield tortoise

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi there.

How big is Derek? This is how to measure Straight Carapace Length.
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

What exactly we advise depends on your tort's maturity, and size is how we judge that.

A vivarium is only suitable for babies as Russians are very active torts.

I suggest you start by reading these threads written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Mattd

He is currently about 4 inches. So what would be the best form of home for him?
Thanks

Korall

Sweden
So, I bought Derek (assuming he's male, was never actually told) over a year a go. The shop was not a very good one and told me basically nothing except 'feed him and use these lights'
I'm now in a position where I've researched more and realised I'm doing it all wrong.
He has a 3ft vivarium and is getting way too big for it and I need to find him a new suitable home but don't know what to look for. Also, I'm trying to improve his diet, during the summer we grow food for him in the garden but what is the best food to buy in the winter?
Thanks for any help I get.

Forgot to mention, he is a horsfield tortoise

We've all been there.

So, just like joesmum said, read the care sheet and beginner mistakes.

As for how big his enclosure should be, I can't give you an exact number (Although there is a minimum in the beginner mistakes) but I would say to build an enclosure that's as large as you can possibly make it, while still being able to maintain temperatures and humidity.

If you have any more questions, just ask here on the forum. There are a ton of people here who are happy to help.

Mattd

Thanks for all the help, I'm correcting everything I can.
I have a fairly good amount of space clear for a new home, I would like to make one but I don't have the time or any -literally none- creative skills so it isn't a great option. Where would you recommend being the best place to find one? I've checked both eBay and my pet shops and there isn't anything I can see.
Thanks again

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At 4 inches, he's not a baby nor yet fully grown. You will be needing a tortoise table as near to 4'x8' as you can get.

An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and then lined with pond liner plastic makes a great table. Follow the setup in Tom's thread

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
most people during winter time supplement their tortoise's diet with greens from the store. There are lots of different types available including dandelion and turnup and mustard and often many many others

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We'd be surprised if you'd gotten good information from a pet store, don't feel bad!

Glad you are willing to learn; you've come to a good place for it.

Central Kentucky
Hi Matt, This is my "L" table I built. (for when I adopt my russian) Made out of bookshelves. First pic is what I started with. Second pick is what I ended up with after taking their device. I'm very happy with it and imagine I'll always be playing with it. (notice cender block legs great idea learned here)
Granted this is just for when I'm not home and winter time other than that it will be outside. The advice I get from the folks on here helps me a lot. Hope this helps u.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10