Help! Found a tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Just been handed this tortoise which was found in a garden in my street :) I'm guessing he's a horsefield? About 3/4years old? Anyone know or can help and any advice about finding the right owner ?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373193450.775690.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Hi Flintus yeah it didn't do it on my first post! Lol. I know not to keep Alan my RF and this tortoise together so I've put it in a open box with some orchid bark,water and some mixed lettuce. The poor thing is stressed so that's why I've made it a temporary home. It's been pushing at the sides to get out but its gone Quiet now ....I'd have it outside but its a very fast mover lol!

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Wow.. UK have tortoises that moving around in the garden? :D

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Still can't see your pic. I will PM you my email address so I can upload it onto here if it helps.

Hybrid said:
It's warm here at the moment, just over 80 Fahrenheit

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Lol this one was found with cats trying to attack it :( my friend knows I have a tortoise so I'm going to look after it till the rightful owner claims it. Poor thing has a few chips but no shell rot. Wandering if you soak them ? I do my Rf everyday :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
FLINTUS said:
Still can't see your pic. I will PM you my email address so I can upload it onto here if it helps.

Hybrid said:
It's warm here at the moment, just over 80 Fahrenheit

I can see it now-2nd post? It's red hot like you say in the UK and this tortoise is stressed bless -made hissing noises when I picked it up but looks in good condition-pyramiding at the front but not sure if that's just the species?

Will give it a bath now :) x

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373194989.411051.jpg

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Ok can see your pics, yes I agree is a horsfield, no idea on subspecies though. Are you a member of shelled warriors? I would put a found ad on there. Actually if you want I can give a link to here as I have an account on there?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hope you find the owner!

Nice of you to help out. If you have a Rubbermaid tub of some kind ( 50 gal), just put in untreated garden dirt or coir, with a hide. I guess he has had plenty of UV out there, but perhaps a light bulb 100w for warming up on one end, over some kind of tile or slate for basking.
Soak him daily for a week, as he is probably dehydrated.

He may not eat, but mixed dark leafy greens and safe weeds. No fruit.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Thanks! It's going to be fun! I need to get a plan in place if its going to be long term! Do you think it's a boy or girl? I'm not sure of age but its a twice the size of my RF! I've put it in a tub but I haven't any lighting as I thought the owner would of claimed it by now! Will it be okay with no heat/ light ? It's so hot in the UK at the moment ??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They really need a basking temp of 30-35c to digest, etc.
so if the tort is inside, I would say yes to a light, just a regular house bulb would be fine for light and heat. No heat at night.
Post a pic of the rear and undershell to help determine male/female.
You could check to see if anyone has posted on Gumtree, (tho I wouldn't post a found tort, just see if there are any lost torts in your area,never know about people :/ ).

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373215966.211358.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373216018.251477.jpg
It's been outside for quite a few evenings from what I've heard. I will have to rig something up! Looks like its in for the night :) Awwww x

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373216583.869638.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hopefully you will find the owner, you can put up signs around the area where he was found. If nobody claims him you could consider keeping him. We found a CDT about a month ago and got it back to the owner within a couple hours. If it was a pet and just escaped they will be looking for it good luck and let us know what happens

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
bigred said:
Hopefully you will find the owner, you can put up signs around the area where he was found. If nobody claims him you could consider keeping him. We found a CDT about a month ago and got it back to the owner within a couple hours. If it was a pet and just escaped they will be looking for it good luck and let us know what happens

He/she has been on quite a journey the last few days from what my neighbour said.Ive not seen any posters up in the area but I will put some up in a couple of days.If its not claimed then I think I'd keep it :) it's different to my RF and I haven't thought about another RF. I believe in fate so what will be will be :) ill keep you informed ;)

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Very sweet of you to help the lost one! I hope the owner finds you, but if not- I'm sure he'll be loved in his new home. :)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, it is up to the person who loses the tortoise to advertise too, so you do what you can.

How long is your tortoise (shell base the long way)? If >4.5 to 5", then we can sex it for sure, but I imagine it is a male.

Keep your temp set up for now. If you don't hear soon, then he may be staying with you!

They LOVE to be outside.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Funny I instantly said male as I was handed him! He if he is a he is 4inches on the flat underside but the including where his shell comes down it'd be 4.5inches? I've read they need to be kept dry? I've put Alan's orchid bark substrate in the tub but I'm worried its to damp?? Shall I get some garden soil? Obviously that's not been in anyway chemically interfered with! He's a digger! Bless x

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373222791.593683.jpg
Temporary home! [TURTLE]

Status
Not open for further replies.