Help fast with shell condition!!!

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
So I made a post earlier about a possibility of him have shell rot...I used betadine, then antiseptic with clortrimazole. About a week an a half or two with no improvement I contacted the breeder and he recommended neosporin so I bought the Walgreens brand, followed by keeping him in a Tupperware all night so it wasn't rubbed off... Two days into the treatment I noticed his chest area that the creases of where his scutes meet are almost filling apart? Not sure what to do. Am I adding too much of these antibiotics or something? Should I discontinue? Please any input would be great.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
is this an aquatic turtle or a tortoise? If it's a turtle, is it able to get out of the water and bask under a heat light? Some bask out of the water as much as they are in the water.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
I apologize I was very brief with my explanation. He's a red footed tortoise. About 9 months has always had weird brown spots around where his belly button would be and some spots of white which I thought was the shell rot. Here's a picture. I'm too afraid to poke at the crease because I don't want it to completely tear apart but could it possibly be new shell growth? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463796261.599485.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Possibly, not real sure. When he's in his usual enclosure, is the top layer of substrate dry? It needs to be. Best is to pour a bit of warm water into the corners, wetting the bottom layers of substrate while keeping the top dry for high humidity. If nothing has changed, as far as getting better or different, it very well could be new growth.
@Yvonne G may know more

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't see any shell rot . It looks like new growth to me . Just keep humidity up ,but keep the substrate dry on top .

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Possibly, not real sure. When he's in his usual enclosure, is the top layer of substrate dry? It needs to be. Best is to pour a bit of warm water into the corners, wetting the bottom layers of substrate while keeping the top dry for high humidity. If nothing has changed, as far as getting better or different, it very well could be new growth.
@Yvonne G may know more

The top layer is dry. However, he always seems to be digging down towards the damp area. I figured keeping him more dry during the treatment would be better so I stopped adding water to the substrate and just sprayed down the enclosure walls. Just added water to the corners and he runs over to the corners for the water. Do they always dig for the damp soil or is this excessive if he's doing this daily and sleeps in a little burrow overnight?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think the brown is normal possibly staining from substrate spraying down the sides is a good idea too. Keep doing that and what ever else you can spray that he can get onto