Help!! Egg question!!

shelleeb76

Well I have 4 eggs, in vermiculite in an incubator ...day 190...yellow foot tortoise eggs. Does anyone have any advice? I am thinking they aren't fertile...do I keep going or stop?? They have gotten darker...they don't really smell...the vermiculite had a slight odor but I wouldn't say they smell. I really would have thought they would have hatched by now. I put a flashlight up to them and yes there is a dark mass in there but it don't think it's changed at all over the past month or 2. I've kept the temp at 85 and humidity about 70%. What should I do?

YF eggs on forum.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The one on the lower right probably isn't any good, but the others I would just wait and see. I like to have my eggs touching each other. That's the way mama leaves them in the nest. I have had mixed luck with YF eggs. Some take a very long time to hatch (over 6 months), some have hatched in 3months, but most have looked pretty rotten by the time they hatched - black and stinken'

Just leave them in the incubator until they explode or hatch.

shelleeb76

Ok thanks for the advice..I am anxious and nervous ..feeling that it should have happened by now.