Help: Cypress Mulch Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samm507

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey guys. After introducing myself as a newbie a couple of weeks ago, and came across a few suggestions of a better substrate for my little horsefield, I decided I'd buy him cypress mulch. However, since he has had this stuff in his vivarium, he has not rested. He is constantly scratching at the sides, he walks forever and a day and he doesn't sleep in his home anymore. He is completely restless with this substrate. He burrows himself and sleeps for max 15 minutes, before he starts scratching and walking around aimlessly again. He hasn't stopped. Thought it may take him a couple of days to get used to, but it has been 4 days and he's still the same :( Really concerned that he just doesn't like this substrate, I don't know whether to go back to his preferred substrate? Any suggestions?
Thank you! :)

Samm507

5 Year Member
UK
It's the meadow grass pellets (the one in my photo) :)

Minority1

5 Year Member
can you check your current substrate to see if it's either too wet or if there's any bugs crawling around? That would be my guess if your tortoise is constantly scratching himself.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
The problem I've had with grass pellets is that they don't hold moisture well and grow mold when they get damp.

Its only been 4 days, I'd wait another couple of weeks to see if he gets use to the cypress mulch. If he doesn't, there are some other good options out there you could try. Topsoil, coco-coir, or plain old dirt from your backyard (assuming its not sprayed with pesticides) all work well.

When considering substrates, you want to look for something that will hold moisture without molding, that is non-toxic and digestible (i.e. won't cause compaction), and that is good for burrowing.

Samm507

5 Year Member
UK
There are definitely no bugs crawling around, that was my first guess too so I have kept an eye on that :) It's not wet, it just holds moisture, like, it feels fine, if you know what I mean? :)
Ahh, that's the problem with pellets, I didn't understand the problem as many people I know use the pellets here.
Okay, I'll be sure to give him more time, I just hope he gets happy again soon, none of us like to see a change in our shells personalities! :p
Thank you for those substrate suggestions, if he doesn't like the cypress mulch, I'll try him with those suggestions. Thank you so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.