Help Buddy's eye is weird!!

Buddytheboxie

Baby food carrot is what you want. Not regular carrot juice. However, I'm not sure that will do anything, but you can try.
Get two pieces of sticks/wood that will fit across the aquarium. Set the light on those sticks with the light pointing down into aquarium and not pointing on the wood. Then try to make a tent over the aquarium with the tin foil, going over the light fixture. Also pour warm water into the substrate and mix around so it's pretty damp. I would also invest in a good temp and humidity gauge.
I shall do all of this tonight when i have the materials! Thank you so much! I will post picture updates when i have set all of this up to make sure i have it done correctly!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I was recommended this one and this the ine in his tank.

Ok, That's a good light and will work. Just Really watch the temps though, it will warm up that tank quick when you close it off. See if you can do what wellington suggested with the wood but it may take a couple of pieces to keep the basking spot from getting too hot.

Buddytheboxie

Ok, That's a good light and will work. Just Really watch the temps though, it will warm up that tank quick when you close it off. See if you can do what wellington suggested with the wood but it may take a couple of pieces to keep the basking spot from getting too hot.
Do you mean to elevate it away from the tank? I will ask when i see his tank over heating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby food soaks are for a turtle that isn't eating. I doubt vitamin A is your turtle's problem. He just looks dry to me. Get some soothing ointment and dab a bit on his eyes daily:

eye ointment b.jpg

Madeleine M

My tortoise has been having the same problem!! But not read, just shut.. makes me really nervous.. I've tried baths, carrot baths, cleaning more.. you name it I've done it :(

Buddytheboxie

My tortoise has been having the same problem!! But not read, just shut.. makes me really nervous.. I've tried baths, carrot baths, cleaning more.. you name it I've done it :(
I hope yout baby gets better! Buddy feels better after a soak, but for some reason i couldnt find baby
okay i think i Fixed his tank correctly this time!! I added the foil and rewet the dirt. I also added some mulch to keep it mosit to see if that works. I am going to hunt down some carrot baby food and give buddy a soak since he hasnt eaten. I currently have him soaking in some water now. His eye is back to normal but does look a bit dehydrated so i will give him more soaks. Aside from more green in his tank and a bigger water dish is there anything else i need for him??

20161222_100941.jpg 20161222_100954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Let's don't take the box turtle thread off in another direction. I'll respond about your Russian tortoise on your thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
.....Did i fix buddy's tank???

Ah. . . aluminum foil! My favorite hoaky fix for a closed chamber! Yes, that looks good. It still looks a bit small for a full grown box turtle, but wet that substrate and mix it up with your hand, then pat it down to make it easier to walk on. Use the ointment on his eye. You should start to see improvement in a few days.

Buddytheboxie

Ah. . . aluminum foil! My favorite hoaky fix for a closed chamber! Yes, that looks good. It still looks a bit small for a full grown box turtle, but wet that substrate and mix it up with your hand, then pat it down to make it easier to walk on. Use the ointment on his eye. You should start to see improvement in a few days.
Yeah i upgraded his tank to this from a 20 gallon long. In the future (when i have my own place) i am planning on giving him a huge enclosure that he wouldnt know what to do with all the space haha. But okay i just finished wetting the dirt, pat it down and i just put him back in. I will keep updates on how he is doing in a couple days. He keeps looking up, i think ge is mad that he cant see the pictures above his tank anymore lol oh well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe he's looking up to see if the food goddess is about to drop him a nice, fat worm???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here is fine, as you've already got the pictures up and we can see what you're asking about.

Buddytheboxie

Here is fine, as you've already got the pictures up and we can see what you're asking about.
Okay perfect. So right when i closed up his tank with the foil his tank went from 84°/86° to about 90°-95° on his warm/basking spot. Is that okay? The top layer of his dirt is also drying pretty fast.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

Remember what I said about watching those temps. My advice would be put a few holes in the foil. That bulb is really good but the issue is the tank is small and it doesn't take much for that bulb to heat it up.

Buddytheboxie

Remember what I said about watching those temps. My advice would be put a few holes in the foil. That bulb is really good but the issue is the tank is small and it doesn't take much for that bulb to heat it up.
Okay i will go home and poke holes in it!