Help Buddy's eye is weird!!

Buddytheboxie

Okay so I always check Buddy before and after i come home to see if he has moved or if he needs his tank misted and so on. When i arrived home today i noticed the skin around his eye looked dryer than normal. His eyelid looks almost suken in! It is his right eye! He is in and out of his stubborn streak for eating and hasnt eaten for about 3 days. I have been soaking him everyday for about 15-20min! When i arrived home the warm side of his tank was at 80° (night temp). His tank is not as humid as i want it to be but i have been working on that! Someone please tell me if i should take him to the vet or what?!?! I am worried about him! The first pic is of the weird(right) eye. The second is of his normal (left) eye. Please help!

20161220_232416.jpg 20161220_232424.jpg

Oogway the russian tort

What type of bulb do u use if it is a cfl bulb get rid of it ASAP its either that or he has an infection of some sort. Did u add anything new to your enclouser (bedding,new tort,plant,diet,and etc)

Buddytheboxie

What type of bulb do u use if it is a cfl bulb get rid of it ASAP its either that or he has an infection of some sort. Did u add anything new to your enclouser (bedding,new tort,plant,diet,and etc)
He uses a uvb basking bulb that i was recommended by in this group somewhere. Nothing in his tank had changed other than a uvb light... but i just looked at him again and his eye is normal!!!!! I feel like he is messing with my feelings!
I have also added mazuri to his diet as well as some new veggies. Everything i have given him he has eaten at one point before except the mazuri. I will check him again in the morning but as of right now this little punk looks normal.... i love and hate him at the same time....

Oogway the russian tort

To help him u should try to feed him carrots but not to much or a carrot juice bath which is in this forum some where I might help a little

Buddytheboxie

To help him u should try to feed him carrots but not to much or a carrot juice bath which is in this forum some where I might help a little
I offer him carrots and he rarely eats it... i shall try the carrot juice bath! That one should work!!!
But when i saw him with his eye dry he was asleep. He woke up when i came into my room like he always does. I picked him up showed him to my sis to get confirmation of what i was seeing. He acted normal, looking around, and trying to climb out of our hands. I put him back in his tank as i wrote this post and when i came back to him he was fine. His eyes nice and red and moist. He looked at me curiously and with an almost concered look. :/ this is the second time he has given me a health scare. First time he was perfectly fine and i just over reacted. I don't want to over react again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is a box turtle, correct? They need it pretty humid. He is way too dry. Misting the tank won't give enough humidity. Post a pic of the enclosure so we can help figure it out better. Also what is the basking temp?

Buddytheboxie

This is a box turtle, correct? They need it pretty humid. He is way too dry. Misting the tank won't give enough humidity. Post a pic of the enclosure so we can help figure it out better. Also what is the basking temp?
Yes he is a 23 year old male 3 toed box turtle. The thermometer i have is super cheap, but according to it, his basking temp is between 84° and 90°. i am trying to keep up the humidity and my next check i am planning on getting him a humidifier because the humidity won't start up at all. His tank use to have a mesh top, but another member told me that the uvb rays wouldn't go through it so i got rid of that. The dirt also continues to dry out no matter how much water i put in it. I am going to get him a bigger water dish as well.

Attachments

• 20161221_093050.jpg
    20161221_093050.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 16

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes he is a 23 year old male 3 toed box turtle. The thermometer i have is super cheap, but according to it, his basking temp is between 84° and 90°. i am trying to keep up the humidity and my next check i am planning on getting him a humidifier because the humidity won't start up at all. His tank use to have a mesh top, but another member told me that the uvb rays wouldn't go through it so i got rid of that. The dirt also continues to dry out no matter how much water i put in it. I am going to get him a bigger water dish as well.
You can use the mesh top but cut holes for the light to have a clear shot into the tank. Then you can cover the rest of the screen with foil. He needs more hiding spots with plants. I would suggest a much larger enclosure. Those clamp lights are know to fail and fall into the enclosure and the light should also be facing down and not at an angle. He needs to be soaked daily for a while he looks very dry

Buddytheboxie

You can use the mesh top but cut holes for the light to have a clear shot into the tank. Then you can cover the rest of the screen with foil. He needs more hiding spots with plants. I would suggest a much larger enclosure
Oh.... to late for the mesh top..... it is long gone now... i a didn't think of that.... i could put foil over his tank right now if that works.
And this is the biggest i have at the moment. He spent the first 20 years or so in a 20 gallon long tank. When i took him over i gave him this tank and he had loved it. In the future i am planning on giving him a huge enclosure with all the space that he needs! However due to space this was the biggest i had room for.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oh.... to late for the mesh top..... it is long gone now... i a didn't think of that.... i could put foil over his tank right now if that works.
And this is the biggest i have at the moment. He spent the first 20 years or so in a 20 gallon long tank. When i took him over i gave him this tank and he had loved it. In the future i am planning on giving him a huge enclosure with all the space that he needs! However due to space this was the biggest i had room for.
Understand on the size. Yes go ahead and cover as much as you can with foil and that will help with getting the humidity up some.

Buddytheboxie

Understand on the size. Yes go ahead and cover as much as you can with foil and that will help with getting the humidity up some.
Alrighty i shall buy some foil today and turn the light downward. I am going to give him a carrot soak today. Am i able to put different baby foods to soak him in or only carrots?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
What brand of bulb did you say you are using? I don't like the mercury vapor for box turtles inside because they make it to hot and dry out everything especially in a smaller tank.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Alrighty i shall buy some foil today and turn the light downward. I am going to give him a carrot soak today. Am i able to put different baby foods to soak him in or only carrots?

I don't think he needs those soaks in baby food, I think just warm water should be good enough. He doesn't look sick, just dry.

carrot or sweet potatoes are the best if that's what you decide to do.

Buddytheboxie

What brand of bulb did you say you are using? I don't like the mercury vapor for box turtles inside because they make it to hot and dry out everything especially in a smaller tank.
I was recommended this one and this the ine in his tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161221-095700.png
    Screenshot_20161221-095700.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 11

Buddytheboxie

I don't think he needs those soaks in baby food, I think just warm water should be good enough. He doesn't look sick, just dry.

carrot or sweet potatoes are the best if that's what you decide to do.
I was going to give him food soaks since he has been refusing food lately.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Baby food carrot is what you want. Not regular carrot juice. However, I'm not sure that will do anything, but you can try.
Get two pieces of sticks/wood that will fit across the aquarium. Set the light on those sticks with the light pointing down into aquarium and not pointing on the wood. Then try to make a tent over the aquarium with the tin foil, going over the light fixture. Also pour warm water into the substrate and mix around so it's pretty damp. I would also invest in a good temp and humidity gauge.