Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had to make a special trip to the store for dog food, and when I went to open the driveway gate I saw something fluttering next to the tortoise dog house. Upon closer inspection, it's a little bat and it looks to be caught up in a spider web. So I got a stick to try to encourage it out of the web, but now it looks like maybe he has a broken arm? Have no idea if he's rabid. I'm not a wildlife expert. Wouldn't know how to euthanize it if I could. But I feel bad just leaving it there to starve to death.

bat a.jpg bat b.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
No don't kill it, Bats need to drop to fly so help it get high enough to take flight.
It's arm looks broken on the second picture... :(

Yvonne, is there no veterinary office in your city you could call? I would use gloves and take it to a vet.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Any luck?
My sister had one in her RV and she took a dish towel and grab it.

daniellenc

Maryland
We had an infestation in my attic years ago that would find their way in the house......needless to say I got really good at catch and release lol. They are docile and not biters. Just scoop him up and toss him out. If he's hurt your local humane society probably knows a rescue.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That is a horrible thing to say. i was a bat rehabber. Bats are exreemely beneficial. go to Batworld.com to help an injured or orphaned bat.
Hmmm.
Batworld.com is a Business Automation Innovating Solutions company. I don't think it would be of much help in rehabbing bats.
If you mean batworlds.com then it's a lovely site full of information on bats, but I can't find the rescue or rehab help section.
Other people managed to have an opposite opinion to mine without engaging in personal attacks.
Shame you couldn't refrain especially two and a half weeks after the incident.
The others suggestions were probably good and i may have been wrong, I just made my reply based on the advice in the link i posted and another two i looked up. But in the situation, with the bat's wing possibly being broken and if there was no bat rescue in the area I suggested it might 'probably' be better to kill it. That's not necessarily a 'horrible' thing to say.
We don't know what happened next, the bat may have crawled off to die somewhere, maybe crawled off and was taken by a predator, but i sincerely hope he was able to climb a tree somewhere, was healthy and able to resume his life.
We'll never know.
I've got nothing against bats, only camels. I rather like bats.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
There was no personal attack. i said that what you suggested was horrible. I thought you meant to just kill it bc it was a bat. Sorry, i misunderstood. When i was reahabbing them, i would hear that all the time.

http:www.batworld.org

https://batworld.org/what-to-do-if-you-found_a_bat/
Okay :)
I would certainly never suggest killing it because it was a bat, as i said, i like them too and often go out at night batwatching. InThailand i went to a cave in a mountain where something like 3 million bats flew out every dusk. Astonishing, the sky was just black with them. You could walk in the cave in the day and pick them off the roof in the low places and examine them and then carefully put them back, still half asleep. Recently in Spain.
It was wise not to walk underneath them !
Thanks for the links.
Hope you had a happy birthday, I think it was recent ?:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's a horrible thing to say!!! Camels are wonderful sweet animals when properly handled and trained!

I'm just kiddin' with ya', but I do like my camels...
I know you do. :rolleyes:
One supposes you are entitled to your opinion.
However wrong it may be. ;)

Reactions: Tom

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Mickey....Welcome to the club but...there's always a "but"....LOL....you responded to a 4 year old thread.
I'll give you a personal pass on the rookie mistake cause I've done it too, lots of times!

Glad you are here....come over to intro section maybe?

jeff

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mickey....Welcome to the club but...there's always a "but"....LOL....you responded to a 4 year old thread.
I'll give you a personal pass on the rookie mistake cause I've done it too, lots of times!

Glad you are here....come over to intro section maybe?

jeff
So, the bat could still be alive.
It was just 4 years ago.

Puerrozan

San Francisco
Bats have a rather long lifespan : on average their life endures up to 30 years
You should put on gloves in order not to get ABLV ( Australian Bat Lyssavirus), Hendra Virus, or Histoplasmosis. ABLV can be transmitted via broken skin through the saliva of bats, so if you aren’t sure about your gloves being firm enough so that they cannot be pierced by bat’s teeth, you'd better use a butterfly net or anything else which can help you to grab the bat and to carry it away. Infection caused by ABLV can lead to rabies-like diseases in humans. However, only three infections caused by ABLV in humans have been reported worldwide. If you are faced with such kinds of troubles quite often, you’d better look for some relevant info. As for myself, the types of bats helped me a lot when I had similar problems. Also, I learned much interesting and new info there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.