Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
Is a 100wat UVB light suitable for a hermann species ? And also a red heat lamp for cold nights

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The bulb wattage that you may need depends upon how effectively it will produce the necessary daytime basking temperatures under it and still me mounted at a safe distance from the tortoise. Generally, most Testudo species, including the Hermann's subspecies, do best with a basking temperature of about 95-105 degrees when measured at the substrate. The closest point of the basking light to the substrate should not be more than 10-12". This is especially true of MVB bulbs that produce a very intense, concentrated beam of heat and light. You did not mention the size (age) of your tortoise so it would help to know that too as well as information on your enclosure set up including ambient room temperatures and humidity.
As long as the night time temperatures in the room do not drop below 60 degrees there should be no need for a night time heat source. Hermann's as well as many other species should have a 15-20 degree day to night temperature differential.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
I do not have a tortoise just yet but the one I'm getting is a hermanns which is 1yr old
Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.