Hello :)

Fay Watkins

Location (City and/or State)
South Wales UK
Hi everyone,my name is Fay and I'm from wales and I have a 1 year old horsefield tortoise who I have named Stan :) he has a great personality and explores everything lol he climbs on to the log roll shelter and hides under the substrate and what I have read on here is totally normal. I was wondering if a 2 in one heat/uv lamp is as good as the strip uv and heat lamp separately? Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
I don't know about the U.K. but here in America, those twin lamp fixtures usually contain some bad bulb choices....Coiled compact CFL and colored incandescents.
I'd use the strip for UVB and a CHE for heat.

Fay Watkins

South Wales UK
Hello and welcome.
I don't know about the U.K. but here in America, those twin lamp fixtures usually contain some bad bulb choices....Coiled compact CFL and colored incandescents.
I'd use the strip for UVB and a CHE for heat.
That's what I got goin at the mo :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fay, and welcome to the Forum!

I appreciate the Mercury Vapor Bulbs because they provide heat and UVB in one bulb/fixture. That is my first choice for lighting. However, the strip fluorescent UVB bulb does have its uses too. This would be a personal choice for you. Whichever one meets the specs you're looking for, then that's the best one.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Fay, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Stan. :)
I'm half-Welsh myself and there's a Welsh member or two to be found on the Forum.:D
If you do use the tube, which is a good choice, you'll need a basking bulb, too.

Fay Watkins

South Wales UK
Hello, Fay, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Stan. :)
I'm half-Welsh myself and there's a Welsh member or two to be found on the Forum.:D
If you do use the tube, which is a good choice, you'll need a basking bulb, too.
Hi and thankyou I have the tube which I am using and also a red heat/basking bulb too,I was wondering about the 2 in one because a few of the tortoise tables I looked at before I had Stan only had a bulb connection for a combo bulb and when I got Stan the setup I bought for him included both uv strip bulb and basking bulb so it made me wonder which bulb option was the right one,I'm glad I'm using both bulbs though,I've been given some good advise and a lovely welcome to the site so I'm over the moon

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi and thankyou I have the tube which I am using and also a red heat/basking bulb too,I was wondering about the 2 in one because a few of the tortoise tables I looked at before I had Stan only had a bulb connection for a combo bulb and when I got Stan the setup I bought for him included both uv strip bulb and basking bulb so it made me wonder which bulb option was the right one,I'm glad I'm using both bulbs though,I've been given some good advise and a lovely welcome to the site so I'm over the moon
Splendid.
Though I personally wouldn't use red light, it's unnatural and some say it encourages the tortoises to eat their substrate.

Fay Watkins

South Wales UK
Splendid.
Though I personally wouldn't use red light, it's unnatural and some say it encourages the tortoises to eat their substrate.
Oh ok,that's what came in the pack,I will get a normal one tomorrow,is it just a natural light heat lamp?he hasn't started munching his substrate so I'm glad u warned me,don't wanna risk the lil fella getting sick