Hello :)

Tinsel21

My name is Heidi and I live in Columbus Ohio. I just got my first tortiose, a baby sulcata, about a week ago. Her name is Tinsel. I'm really excited to have found this forum cuz everybody is saying different things and I'm not sure who's right so maybe you guys can help because I'm a little concerned about Tinsel right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My name is Heidi and I live in Columbus Ohio. I just got my first tortiose, a baby sulcata, about a week ago. Her name is Tinsel. I'm really excited to have found this forum cuz everybody is saying different things and I'm not sure who's right so maybe you guys can help because I'm a little concerned about Tinsel right now.

Hello and welcome.

Most of the info circulating around out there in the world is incorrect, out-dated and based on false assumptions about their lives in the wild. This also means that most babies from most breeders are not started correctly and a large percentage of them die weeks or months later because of what was done, or not done, right after they hatched. Do you know the early history of your baby?

The threads Yvonne linked for you will get you up to speed on the correct care that will help your baby survive and thrive.

What are your concerns with Tinsel?

Tinsel21

Hello and welcome.

Most of the info circulating around out there in the world is incorrect, out-dated and based on false assumptions about their lives in the wild. This also means that most babies from most breeders are not started correctly and a large percentage of them die weeks or months later because of what was done, or not done, right after they hatched. Do you know the early history of your baby?

The threads Yvonne linked for you will get you up to speed on the correct care that will help your baby survive and thrive.

What are your concerns with Tinsel?
She is soaking in her water for hours. The pet store couldn't tell me what temp her tank should be so I've got it in the high 80s to mid 90s in her hot area and high to mid 70s to low 80s in her cool area, the humidity is is like 70 to 80%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is soaking in her water for hours. The pet store couldn't tell me what temp her tank should be so I've got it in the high 80s to mid 90s in her hot area and high to mid 70s to low 80s in her cool area, the humidity is is like 70 to 80%

Read those threads from Yvonne and see what needs to be changed in your set up. Most people get bad info and conflicting advice from multiple sources. Check out my care sheet and you'll see what works and what simulates the life of a wild hatchling.

It is not normal for them to sit in their water for hours, so something is off. Mid 70s is too low of a temperature. Are you using a coil type UV bulb? What was the source of your baby and how was it started right after hatching? Most breeders do not start them correctly, as I mentioned before...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome, Heidi. So you are from Columbus Ohio? I thought you lived on top of a mountain in the Swiss Alps with your grandfather? OK then.

You came to a GOOD place Heidi! Lots to learn here from great experienced folks! Stick around.

Tinsel21

Read those threads from Yvonne and see what needs to be changed in your set up. Most people get bad info and conflicting advice from multiple sources. Check out my care sheet and you'll see what works and what simulates the life of a wild hatchling.

It is not normal for them to sit in their water for hours, so something is off. Mid 70s is too low of a temperature. Are you using a coil type UV bulb? What was the source of your baby and how was it started right after hatching? Most breeders do not start them correctly, as I mentioned before...
Okay, I didn't think it was normal but I've never had a tortiose so I wasn't sure. She has a uv/uvb bulb and a heat bulb for night time. I don't know anything about how she was started after hatching, I got her from a pet store where I'm pretty sure they weren't taking care of her properly. She was living on a diet of squash, zucchini and pellets. They couldn't tell me anything about how to take care of her so I found you guys and started reading before I got her and right after and then I joined this morning because I'm not sure what to do.

Tinsel21

In the co
Okay, I didn't think it was normal but I've never had a tortiose so I wasn't sure. She has a uv/uvb bulb and a heat bulb for night time. I don't know anything about how she was started after hatching, I got her from a pet store where I'm pretty sure they weren't taking care of her properly. She was living on a diet of squash, zucchini and pellets. They couldn't tell me anything about how to take care of her so I found you guys and started reading before I got her and right after and then I joined this morning because I'm not sure what to do.
In the cool spot it's usually about 80 but last night it drop to mid to lowish 70 which is way to low I know but I'm have some trouble regulating the temperatures and keeping them up where it's really warm

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Heidi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Tinsel.:)
Is it a closed chamber ?
Can Tinsel actually climb out of your water feature alone ?
A cheap, shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate may be a better idea.

Tinsel21

Is it a closed chamber ?
A cheap, shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate may be a better idea.
Thank you :) It's not closed and she dose very well getting in and out
Is it a closed chamber ?
Thank you :) I tried a teracata pot saucer first but she wouldn't go anywhere near it so I was worried that she was going to get dehydrated and she absolutely loves her bathes so I got her something a little bigger and a little deeper (it only has about a 1/4 -1/2 an inch of water in it so if she flips over or falls asleep she can't drown). She dose a really good job getting in and out I was worried when we put it in there so I didn't leave the room until I was 100% sure that she was comfortable with it. I moved her into a bigger tank last night and lowered her temperatures a bit so she seems to be doing amazing now :) very active. I think it was to hot.