Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi! I'm a recent tortoise hobbiest (4 years) from Oklahoma. I have 1.2 russian tortoises..

plantidentification011.jpg

Ivan....

rt002.jpg

Daphne (Daffy) and Delilah (Dee)...Daff is the one on top.
and

plantidentification009.jpg

and my yearling leopard tortoise, enjoying his prickly pear. I am expecting a couple of red foot babies from Terry in April!​

I am here to learn everything I can from experienced tort owners:).

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Welcome welcome welcome! I have a soft spot for Russians, and yours are no exception! WHAT CUTIES! The Leopard is adorable as well, who can resist a sweet Leo. yearling!

I'd love to see pics of the hatchlings you are getting from Terry! I am also getting my first RF hatchling from him (although I have four bigger Red-Foots) as well as my first RF male from him! I want to fast forward to spring right now!

Glad you are here, I think you'll enjoy yourself!

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
cvalda said:
Welcome welcome welcome! I have a soft spot for Russians, and yours are no exception! WHAT CUTIES! The Leopard is adorable as well, who can resist a sweet Leo. yearling!

I'd love to see pics of the hatchlings you are getting from Terry! I am also getting my first RF hatchling from him (although I have four bigger Red-Foots) as well as my first RF male from him! I want to fast forward to spring right now!

Glad you are here, I think you'll enjoy yourself!
Thank you, Kelly! I forgot to mention my name is Carolyn:). Yes, I can't wait for spring to get here! I'm so excited about my new additions! The one you are getting from Terry is gorgeous! I am so jealous;). I will post pics of my guys when they get here.

I bought my female Russians last year..and they were supposed to be mature females, but Dee is only 5 inches (same as Ivan) and Daffy is only 4.5 inches (SCL on all). They are such characters! I told Terry when I talked to him it was hard for me to imagine any other torts that were more personable than Russians. I have heard from others, though, that red foots are just as personable.

My little leopard I've had for almost a year. He isn't very personable, but he is fun to watch. Notice the little lighter patches around his eyes?
plantidentification008.jpg

I had been using timothy hay in his enclosure per the instructions of who I bought him from. That stuff rubbed the skin right from around his eyes! I quit using that and starting using a top soil/sand mix with orchard grass over the substrate. That was six months ago and there is no sign of the color returning:(. We all have to learn the hard way I guess!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He is such a sweet fellow! We all make mistakes, but as long as we learn from them, it's not all bad.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Jacqui said:
He is such a sweet fellow! We all make mistakes, but as long as we learn from them, it's not all bad.

Thanks, Jacqui. That's why I'm here, to lessen my errors;)

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Wow egyptian tortoises look awesome, I have a russian, but am still really new to tortoises.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome Carolyn. You have some mighty sweet looking torts there. Now we know you have Ivan, Daphne (Daffy) and Delilah (Dee) but what’s your sweet little Leo's name? Hopefully as he ages the pigmentation may change or blend a little more in his eye area. He is sweet looking none the less. And as they say if we learn from are mistakes we are doing something right. :p

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
:D
Crazy1 said:
Welcome Carolyn. You have some mighty sweet looking torts there. Now we know you have Ivan, Daphne (Daffy) and Delilah (Dee) but what’s your sweet little Leo's name? Hopefully as he ages the pigmentation may change or blend a little more in his eye area. He is sweet looking none the less. And as they say if we learn from are mistakes we are doing something right. :p

Thank you Robyn:). I just call me little Leo Callie for now because I got him/her from California. I'm hoping for a Callie, but if not, it will be Calvin;). I'm hoping the pigmentation will blend more as Callie ages. Here is a pic when I first got him:
march2207002.jpg

I should've left the reptile carpet in, but the breeder told me to use Timothy hay. Oh well, you are right. As long as we learn from our mistakes we are doing something right:D

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site. Some cute torts you have there. I noticed you also have a Newfoundland .....I love them!!! Post pics of her too!!:)

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Coldliz said:
Welcome to the site. Some cute torts you have there. I noticed you also have a Newfoundland .....I love them!!! Post pics of her too!!:)

Thank you, Liz! Here are a couple of pics of my dogs..

Winter022.jpg

Thor (shown at age 6 ) and...

russian002.jpg

russian001.jpg

Nana:) (shown here at age 11)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum Carolyn! Glad you found us. Cute torts and dogs!!!!

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
jlyoncc1 said:
Welcome to the forum Carolyn! Glad you found us. Cute torts and dogs!!!!

Thank you jlyoncc1! I am really glad I found you guys, too:D

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortania said:
Coldliz said:

Thank you, Liz! Here are a couple of pics of my dogs..

Winter022.jpg

Thor (shown at age 6 ) and...

russian002.jpg

Handsome dogs!! Wow that is old for a Newfoundland!! Is it still healthy? When I was a teen I babysat for a family with one. They told me to go to sleep on his shoulder & he would let me know if the kids woke or if someone came into the yard. And he did. Such a cool dog! And your torts are cuties! Your Leo looks about the size of my 2, hard to tell. Mine are about 2". Got them at a Reptile show I think a year ago.Luckily they are healthy. Some weren't in other totes.
Patsy
russian001.jpg

Nana:) (shown here at age 11)

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Welcome to Tortoise Forum.org!Yeah we all make mistakes like I used to keep my torts on sawdust.But now hes on Bed-A-Beast.Oh and Your Torts are awsome!Again Welcome!:D

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Rees2 said:
Welcome to Tortoise Forum.org!Yeah we all make mistakes like I used to keep my torts on sawdust.But now hes on Bed-A-Beast.Oh and Your Torts are awsome!Again Welcome!:D

Thank you, Rees2! It amazing how resilient these wonderful creatures are to put up with us humans making care mistakes in the beginning! But then they have been around for thousands of years with very little change in their appearances and habits! Yep, some tough little cookies are torts!

Status
Not open for further replies.