Hello, tortoise lovers! My name is Shadow. I'm a Russian Tort and my owner has lots of questions...

jtsugawa

I have been with my owner for about a year now and I feel pretty good. He keeps me indoors at nighttime. I have a small enclosure with small bark, sand, and coconut husk. It seems a little dry to me. I have a mercury heat lamp with uva light which keeps me warm (around 80-90 degrees) I have a place to bask and a place to hide. He turns off the lamp at night. During the day I live outdoors in a slightly bigger enclosure with the same substrate only less dry, maybe even moist. I have a place to hide in case it gets too hot. I eat every day and I get a short bath too! now for the questions:

How do I find out how old I really am? Is it ok to give me a bath every day? How warm should the water be? What should my poop and pee look like (i know a little gross) Are there any yummy, healthy local plants that my owner can feed to me? I live in Belmont California. between San Francisco and San Jose. Right now he is feeding me radicchio, Belgium endive, escarole, baby kale, Hibiscus leaves, several different cactuses and frissee when he finds it. Please suggest some new things which he can find locally, (i'm getting bored with his choices!)
Thanks, everyone, Hope to hear from you soon!

Oh yea, I forgot....my shell is looking a little dull and rutted, with a few smallish bumps and dings. Is this normal? Am I ok??

Shadow
BTW- In case you were wondering I got my name from the owners 4-year-old son because I was always hiding when i first came home. I don't do that anymore.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Your intro is too cute. Tell your owner to add a little humidity to your indoor enclosure, a humid hide will work. I don't know what to tell you about the poop or pee. I usually do t see my torts pee and the poop should be formed like a turd. Sometimes you might see white in either one. This is normal as long as it's not hard or gritty. You can give warm soaks daily but unless your a hatchling 2 and under its not needed more then a couple, times a week. The water should be around 90-100.
Check this sight out for more tort friendly food items.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
The bumps and dings on the shell could be because you were wild caught, not captive bred.

jtsugawa

Hello and Welcome. Your intro is too cute. Tell your owner to add a little humidity to your indoor enclosure, a humid hide will work. I don't know what to tell you about the poop or pee. I usually do t see my torts pee and the poop should be formed like a turd. Sometimes you might see white in either one. This is normal as long as it's not hard or gritty. You can give warm soaks daily but unless your a hatchling 2 and under its not needed more then a couple, times a week. The water should be around 90-100.
Check this sight out for more tort friendly food items.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
The bumps and dings on the shell could be because you were wild caught, not captive bred.

Thanks, Wellington!