Hello new to the tortoise world

zepherus2016

Hello we just got out New tortoise. He is Testudo Tortoise and his name is Zepherus. He was out moving around the first day but has been just sleeping and hides the last 2 days,Is that normal? Maybe just because he's Ina new place? He is eating but have not seen him in the water much after that first day.., but any information to help out with our new little guy would be great here are some pictures of him and his home ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469554784.810951.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469554802.245253.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469554812.327578.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469554828.425999.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome

Because I am rubbish at it, I am not going to guess at what type of Testudo you have. We have care sheets for all the species and you need to read the right one!

Please do read our Beginner Mistakes thread though as you will find that helpful.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The usual problem with activity is temperatures. If it's too hot or too cold then your tort will be inactive. You need to know the temperature warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and the overnight minimum. A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) is far more accurate than a dial type.

I can't see your lighting, so please post photos of that. I will post a summary shortly so you know what you need.

You need to get rid of the reptile bowls. They're not suitable for tortoises and they're a tipping hazard. Use a terracotta plant saucer for water and a flat rock or piece of slate for food.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

zepherus2016

His tank is at 80 degrees Fahrenheit and under the basking light it is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity is around 60 ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469556008.611804.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
His tank is at 80 degrees Fahrenheit and under the basking light it is about 90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity is around 60 View attachment 181493
You need to measure the temperatures accurately. Those stick on thermometers aren't much good.

It needs to be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp as measured by a good digital thermometer - a temperature gun is best.

What lamps do you have? A photo of the bulbs will help.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Welcome! beautiful Russian!

the caresheets on this site are awesome and super helpful!

right now hes probably just adjusting to his new home and new owner. he will come around.

what made you choose a russian? :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! :D

Please give your tort time to get used to the new environment: torts do not like change.:( And give him daily soaks in warm water. :)

I think-am NOT sure- he's a Russian tort.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tort is trying to climb out through the glass, restricting it's view of the world by putting a strip of paper or card round the bottom of the tank is the way to go.

At present that isn't an issue but it may become one.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello & Welcome!

@JoesMum - what about the glass of the tank?
I thought "we" were suppose to put something so they couldn't see out or they might become obsessed with trying to get out..?

I have avoided glass/transparent enclosure as well as bowl for soaks; based on what I read at TFO and elsewhere.:rolleyes: