Hello! New to forums

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hello! I have a wonderful Greek tortoise named Leonidas (after the ancient spartan king), or Leo for short. He is about one year old and my best friend. I am so happy to finally be a member of the tortoise forums, as they have helped me a lot with my beloved pet. Currently, Leo has a respiratory infection and is on antibiotics but he is doing great, I have a wonderful vet and he has had an infection once before and is a tough little guy.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493496702.923905.jpg. I only have one question right now and that is: is it necessary to cut up his food into little bits? My vet has told me to do this but he seems fine taking bites of leaves and it is very inconvenient as I have school and can't cut up his food every morning, though if I had to I would of course find a way to make it work.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493501164.835047.jpg
I've been cutting Or chopping the food for my torts for almost 17 years to let them have a mixed diet . But no you don't have to ! My torts are my children and I do baby them .

Stormy Bluu

Central Pennsylvania
Welcome I usually don't cut up the food as these guys are pretty great at chomping thru their veggies. In the past to save time I have done food prep a few days in advance when I know I have a busy day and I don't want to fuss with making salads before work or when I am away and have a pet sitter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No, the food does not have to be chopped.
We need to figure out though what isn't working right that your little one has a second RI. Please post a pic of your enclosure and the temps, humidity and what you are using for bulbs and heat sources. We can hopefully help you get it changed up do this is his last RI

Northern California
Here is a pic of the enclosure. He got the infection again because it was not completely out of his system, the amount of antibiotics needed to flush it out could harm him.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493507329.777566.jpg He has a pretty basic tank because it's only temporary. I'm working on an outdoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that pulp paper bedding? I wouldn't use that. I prefer orchid (fir) bark because you can moisten it slightly. It helps babies to grow smoothly when they live in a humid environment.

Northern California
It is to help his breathing since he has an infection, because it has almost no dust. Otherwise, I am actually looking for a better substrate.