Hello! New to forum and researching :)

daniczo

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi everyone!

I joined this forum to collect as much information as possible before hopefully buying my first tortoise. I want to make sure I can keep my potential new friend happy and healthy.

-Danielle :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

I suggest you start by reading this. The TFO guides are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

In the first instance
- whereabouts in the world are you and what's the climate like?
- How much space do you have indoors and out?

AmberD

Ontario
Welcome Danielle!
I just joined the forum about a month ago when I adopted my first tortoise. The information on here helped tremendously as well as the members. I have a now 4 month old Red Foot Tortoise.

daniczo

Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome! Are you leaning toward a specific type or size yet?
Hi! I am most interested in Hermann and Russians. From all the research I have done so far they seem to be most suitable to inexperienced (but eager!!!) new owners. They also stay small which is important for me space-wise.

daniczo

Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello and welcome.

I suggest you start by reading this. The TFO guides are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes

In the first instance

Thank you! I have definitely read a lot of conflicting and vague information online, hence why I felt it would be helpful to join this forum. I am about to begin a graduate program in Nevada where I will be for the next three years. But I am originally from New Jersey and at this point in time I have every intention of returning there at the conclusion of my program. For this reason I am trying to determine which species would do well in either climate. I will be in a nice off campus apartment so I will not have availability for an outdoor enclosure until after I graduate. This is why I was thinking a hatchling or juvenile individual would be better because when it's at an age I feel comfortable allowing it to live outdoors, I will be in a space that allows me to provide an outdoor enclosure.

daniczo

Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello and welcome.

Beginner Mistakes

In the first instance

I should also mention that Nevada is extremely hot/dry desert, and New Jersey can get below freezing in the winter and summers are hot and humid. This won't matter much for the next three years, but when I move my friend to an outdoor enclosure later I imagine that will be important.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hatchlings are more fragile than juveniles and adults. humidity is important while they're growing so they don't grow pyramided which makes higher more stable Around the Clock temperature more important because of respiratory infections. Before you buy plug in "closed Chambers" in the search bar above and read up. Many of us have bought hatchlings and not known about the requirements for them and had to redo our enclosures completely.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I should also mention that Nevada is extremely hot/dry desert, and New Jersey can get below freezing in the winter and summers are hot and humid. This won't matter much for the next three years, but when I move my friend to an outdoor enclosure later I imagine that will be important.
So... avoid Redfoot/Yellowfoot in arid conditions. They need high humidity.

Very cold winters mean either hibernation or a very good outdoor setup.

The Testudo are very good 'beginner' tortoises, don't grow too big and can hibernate. Even small torts like these will need a minimum of 4'x8' once they stop being babies (after the first couple of years). They are active and need space to roam.

This is the Russian Care Sheet; care of the other Testudo is broadly the same.
Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

If you have plenty of space outside and the budget for a heated shed and overnight quarters then Sulcata or Leopard could be considered. However keep in mind that these don't hibernate and grow rapidly into very large tortoises (Sulcatas grow to 100lb+) that are impractical to keep indoors.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also to add that tortoises aren't portable. They frequently cope very badly with change.

If you're on vacation you will need someone to come in and care for your tortoise. You can't put it in kennels like a dog or cat.

Babies are less resilient than adults. Adults need more space.

When you finish your study are you really sure you where you will be living and what you will be doing?

The reason I ask is because my offspring are 24 and 21. The eldest graduated and has travelled all over since - she ended up working in Canada (we're British) at 2 weeks notice.... and is moving 150 miles away from home next week at 3 weeks notice this time, but her new home is rented and doesn't allow pets.

A tortoise is a pet for life. It will live for probably 50 years and more. We got ours in 1970. Waiting 3 years until things are more certain may be more practical.

daniczo

Las Vegas, Nevada
Also to add that tortoises aren't portable. They frequently cope very badly with change.

If you're on vacation you will need someone to come in and care for your tortoise. You can't put it in kennels like a dog or cat.

Babies are less resilient than adults. Adults need more space.

When you finish your study are you really sure you where you will be living and what you will be doing?

The reason I ask is because my offspring are 24 and 21. The eldest graduated and has travelled all over since - she ended up working in Canada (we're British) at 2 weeks notice.... and is moving 150 miles away from home next week at 3 weeks notice this time, but her new home is rented and doesn't allow pets.

A tortoise is a pet for life. It will live for probably 50 years and more. We got ours in 1970. Waiting 3 years until things are more certain may be more practical.

My graduate program does not allow for more than one, maybe two very short "vacations" a year (3-7 days) , in which case I have two responsible people I trust to handle care in my absence. I have narrowed down to Russians and Hermanns due to their small size, hardiness, and reputation for having awesome personalities. I am definitely planning to move back to New Jersey after school ends but if I do not I would be remaining in Nevada. My future career will not require traveling or relocating once I am in it (Physical Therapy), so my new friend would be set up without disturbance for the first three years.

I greatly appreciate all the input of things to consider! Thank you so much. I do not worry about ability to give space and lifelong care, but I am quite concerned about having to possibly move him/her across the country in three years.

It has definitely crossed my mind that it might be better to wait until I am finished with school. I know the advice from the experienced members of this forum can help me determine if this would be the best decision.

daniczo

Las Vegas, Nevada
Hatchlings are more fragile than juveniles and adults. humidity is important while they're growing so they don't grow pyramided which makes higher more stable Around the Clock temperature more important because of respiratory infections. Before you buy plug in "closed Chambers" in the search bar above and read up. Many of us have bought hatchlings and not known about the requirements for them and had to redo our enclosures completely.

Thank you for the suggestion! I am concerned about the potential for pyramiding so I will check out the posts about closed chambers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I commend you for taking the time to do the research ahead of time.

Having once been where you are, I can tell you that the things you envision for your future right now are very likely to change and change again over the next three years. Since you are asking for advice, I would advise you to wait until you get where you are going, settle in, and have the time and space for a tortoise. We are all here to promote and celebrate the joys of tortoise keeping, so I don't make this recommendation lightly. Having a pet tortoise can be done in your circumstances, but with the amount of stuff that will be on your plate for the next few years, the question is: Should you embark on this journey at this time? Tortoises really do best with large indoor enclosures and large outdoor enclosures for fair weather. It doesn't sound like you'll be able to do this in your current lifestyle, so I'd suggest a different pet for you to enjoy. If you like the reptile thing, then look into a corn or king snake, a small python or boa species, a blue tongue skink, a bearded dragon, leopard or crested gecko, or any number of others that can thrive in smaller quarters with no outside time. Or a cat. Or a pet rat. How about a ferret?

Whichever way you decide to go, we are happy to help.