Hello new to firum and a new turtle owner

Wildmonkey1

Joined the forum for advice trying to setup a tank got the turtle for my five year old so looking for something fun any ideas is welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Go big. Get the biggest aquarium you can afford, and buy a GOOD filter. I always feed water turtles in a separate tub in order to keep the aquarium clean longer. I have a large dish pan for the purpose. I put the turtle in the dishpan of water, feed him and leave him in there for an hour or so, then put him back into the aquarium.

Let's send a shout-out to @Markw84

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please believe me. Your turtle is going to outgrow a 10 gallon tank in no time. Then you'll upgrade to a 20 gallon, and in a year or so you'll be getting a 50 gallon. I have heard the story over and over, "My turtle is too big. I can't afford to get a bigger tank."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let him help you pick out the decorations for the tank. Take him with you to the store so he can see all the choices. Allow him to feed the turtle under your supervision. And when it comes time to clean the tank, include him in that chore also. Just remember to always wash hands after messing with turtles and turtle water.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Can a turtle and fish share a tank
I always keep fish in with my turtles, including red-ears. If a fish gets stressed or sick, it will probably end up as turtle food. I always have a plecostomas in to help keep the algae down, and then some inexpensive fish like guppies or minnows, keeping in mind they could get eaten. A small red-ear isn't that good at catching fish, they are more scavangers, but a slow, or luckily trapped fish could end up grabbed. The tank is much more interesting with fish in it and more enjoyable. Fish are also an indication the water quality is good. If you can keep the fish alive, your water is good enough for your turtle. Turtle pellet like reptomin baby turtle pellets is excellent for small, 1st year turtles. Higher calcium and D3 and a small and softer pellet. I supplement with small bits of shrimp, or boiled chicken as treats along with the frozen cubes of blood worms (tubifex) that are easy to keep in the freezer, then simply pop a cube in as a treat 3 times a week or so.

Be sure your tank is set up with a good light and UVB light. The turtle needs good UVB to develop properly. A basking site where they turtle can get totally out of the water under the warmest spot of the basking light. Your turtle does not need "land area" just a place it can crawl up on and dry off under the warmth of the basking light. You will want to keep the water at about 75°-78° That means I use an aquarium heater in my tanks. Get a good filtration setup. I like the Fluval type, outside tank canisters for ease of cleaning and the great job they do of filtering heavier loads as turtles will provide! I have this filter on my setup for some of my turtles I keep inside to grow and get size their first year.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A207-206-External-Filter/dp/B005QRDDM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493048420&sr=8-2&keywords=fluval+206&th=1
The tank is much better to maintain and enjoy when filled at least 2/3 full. A red-ear is a good swimmer and deep water is no problem. I always put in some plastic plants. I actually by a fake plastic garland from our craft store "Michaels" that looks like natural floating plants, and put in a few longer pieces. Turtles love hanging in plants near the surface. The feel secure, and it is one of the most common ways young turtles actually bask as UVB easily penetrates water.

Go ahead and let him (?) pick out a few decorations for the tank. My grandkids put a "crush" figurine from "Finding Nemo" in. If you take the time and spend a bit of money to set things up properly, you, and your child will enjoy it for years.