Hello! Looking for the right tortoise for me!

nquartz

Hello!

I am looking for the right tortoise for me after having had some mismatches. I live in an apartment in Virginia (cold winters, hot, humid summers) with a small fenced in yard at the moment (this may be different in a few years). I would love something that gets a little bigger than a Russian, but maybe no more than 12 inches (I want to be able to lift it without farm equipment, haha). And a good temperament is always a plus! And I would be happy to adopt one from a rescue or similar group.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas, I keep the RF's which are about the size you like but they are tropical species and require heat source to keep warm. I absolutely love mine. There are many RF keepers who live in cold winter climate. They have large indoor enclosures for the cold months. Another option would be to go with the species native to similar climate zone, I'm just not sure which/if any would get quite that big.

nquartz

Welcome from Texas, I keep the RF's which are about the size you like but they are tropical species and require heat source to keep warm. I absolutely love mine. There are many RF keepers who live in cold winter climate. They have large indoor enclosures for the cold months. Another option would be to go with the species native to similar climate zone, I'm just not sure which/if any would get quite that big.
Great suggestion, thank you!!!

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
Ibera Greek tortoises are known to average around 8-9 inches as adults, but in some cases grow to around 10-11 inches