Hello, little help? (what species?)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hmmmmmm.
The only native species to Morocco is Testudo graeca. which is currently split into three sub species in Morocco.
In the North are Testudo graeca marrokensis, central and west Testudo graeca graeca and in the south Testudo graeca soussensis.
Normally the babies of all of these are quite pale, though many, especially of the T. graeca graeca subspecies get considerably darker as they get older. (like my Tidgy). In the south they are often, paler, and in the north more patterned and mixed, but there is massive variation.
I have occasionally seen darkish babies of T. graeca graeca here, but never babies this dark.
I am going down south tonight to hopefully have a look at some soussensis if they are out of hibernation yet, I am told that a couple have been seen.
I am rubbish at IDing, so though my guess would be on a particularly dark T graeca graeca, I wouldn't bet my toothbrush on it.
It should also be noted that in some places, particularly the markets in Marrakech, tortoises are available that are not Moroccan in origin, sulcatas, leopards, other species of Greeks and more.
Buying and selling of any species which is wild caught is now illegal, though, sadly the law is not enforced. Export is utterly prohibited without a permit which is almost impossible to obtain. All three Moroccan subspecies are severely threatened in the wild due to collecting for sale as toys and pets and the older females used to make fire bellows and banjos. In some areas it seems mostly older males are left. Dealers may say they are captive bred, but I have never seen a certificate here and the reality is that almost all of them are wild caught.
Please don't buy tortoises in Morocco.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep just testudo in Morroco. For sure that's what these are. But as for which locality or sub species that I do not know. Especially being young babies. Sure are awesome little guys though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It looks like the one in the middle is pretty sick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes Chris is pretty good at I.D.ing them when they're babies. Let's give him the chance to look at them - @HermanniChris

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
There's going to be no absolute way to know which subspecies of T. graeca they are since they are babies but they look mostly like T. g. soussensis. T. g. marrokensis usually look different even as neonates.