Hello from Whidbey Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnauman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Whidbey Island WA
I am getting set up for a baby tortoise and am hoping to find a baby Hermann within the next few weeks. Would prefer to buy from someone private - but am also wondering about Turtle or Tortoise Shack...are they reputable?

Also wondering if there are other owners out there in the Pacific Northwest that can help with outdoor enclosures given our specific weather conditions.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Is this your first ever tortoise? Hermanns are beautiful tortoises. What is it about them that drew you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I feel compelled to mention it publicly for everyones benefit; I have seen several people publicly voice their unhappiness from dealings with tortoise shack. I have personally never dealt with them, just relating what I have seen since the question was asked. This forum is about sharing helpful info, and this seems to fit. There are several reputable breeders here on the forum. A search or a wanted ad will probably turn some of them up for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, mlnauman!

We have many PNW members here on the forum. And there are a few Hermann's breeders as well. HermanniChris springs to mind.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I'm from Marsville! Welcome to the forum! This place is the best!

mlnauman

5 Year Member
Whidbey Island WA
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Is this your first ever tortoise? Hermanns are beautiful tortoises. What is it about them that drew you?

----------
Hello! Thanks for your welcome!!

I am specifically interested in Hermanns because they don't seem to get that big and they are herbivores...and they are beautiful...:). What do you have?
Marilee

mlnauman

5 Year Member
Whidbey Island WA
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

I feel compelled to mention it publicly for everyones benefit; I have seen several people publicly voice their unhappiness from dealings with tortoise shack. I have personally never dealt with them, just relating what I have seen since the question was asked. This forum is about sharing helpful info, and this seems to fit. There are several reputable breeders here on the forum. A search or a wanted ad will probably turn some of them up for you.

Thanks Tom - I have heard from at least two breeders on this site - that's GREAT! What kind of tortoise(s) do you have?

Marilee

mlnauman

5 Year Member
Whidbey Island WA
emysemys said:
Welcome, mlnauman!

We have many PNW members here on the forum. And there are a few Hermann's breeders as well. HermanniChris springs to mind.

Hi there! Yes - I saw in one of the threads that you were from WA state. Are you East or West of the Cascades? I have heard from two of the breeders on this site already - which is great! Haven't heard from HermanniChris but will email Him? Her?
Thanks - Marilee

Raynjone

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm on Lopez, but I have two russians. I'm not sure what the Hermans need as far as heat and moisture. I have a playpen outside for my torts on warm days, but otherwise they are kept indoors. I would suggest netting of some sort so the eagles and coons don't get in there.

Cindy Ski

5 Year Member
Florida
We just got our Hermann's from big apple pet supply online. he just arrived Tuesday. he was active the minute i put him in his cage, no problems so far, Big Apple was good to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.