Hello from Vancouver, BC

D.Mac

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi there,

So it's been 30 to 35 years since I last kept turtles of any sort, but I have always maintained a love of looking for these creatures in the wild.

My kids are now 5 and 7 years old and have expressed an interest in all things turtle and amphibian.
I've been doing some research, and I think we are going to purchase a species of Box Turtle sometime soon, probably a captive bred 3-toed Box Turtle. From what I have read thus far they stay small, do pretty well in indoor enclosures (it's cold/wet enough here most of the year that a full-time outdoor enclosure would not be suitable), and of course, they are pretty cute. We have several gardens on our lot that could easily be modified to become temporary runs for these guys on nice summer days.

Anyhow, I don't have any turtles to share with you at this time, but I am looking for ideas for a Tortoise Table. From what I have read and seen on YouTube I am certain I can build something custom that will be more than adequate. I am just wondering if any of you can direct me to good website for this type of thing or recommend any mandatory reading/viewing? We'll be taking the kids to the library today, and even though I am sure I can find almost everything I need to know online, I will probably be bringing home some books to read as well.

Who knows, maybe in a few months time I'll have something more to share!

Cheers,

Daryl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a look through our enclosure section. We have many pictures of indoor and outdoor enclosures. We also have a care sheet for box turtles, pinned at the top of the box turtle section.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I have a table 3 x 5 feet you can have for free just upgraded mine. It is waterproof and has wheels at the bottom so you can move it to clean the floors. Just pm me and you can have it if you'd like. Cheers!

I live in central downtown Vancouver BC.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499620500.932523.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I think you'll find most species of box turtles will withstand your weather pretty well ..... I live in zone 6a , and easterns are native to my area ......... I believe they are found in zone 5 ...... your winters may be a bit too mild , or too wet , for some reason they are not native to your area , mild long winters are hard on them .... maybe your ground temps are the problem , might just be the mountains that stopped them .........

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Please be cautious with materials you find at the library. Well while intended, they often contain information that is years out of date. :(

Fortunately we've got plenty of current information for you on the site!