Hello from Texas

Fisherfive

Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I currently don't own any tortoises but will be getting one in mid to late August. (Sulcata tortoise)

I have 3 kids who are super excited. We live in Southeast Texas and have a few other animals. ( 2 guinea pigs, 3 small dogs, 10 gallon fish tank, 65 gallon fish tank and a 390 gallon stock tank with some guppies, goldfish and plecos). We are adding a new little tortoise to our family.

I've been doing tons and tons and tons of reading and research on a Sulcata Tortoise.

I'm a little confused by what type of enclosure I should build. We are looking at building one big enough to stay in until he/she is old enough to go outside.

Thank you for allowing me to be in what seems to be a pretty awesome group! I've read so.e of the forums already and I guess once I understand everything then it will all make sense.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Fisherfive

Southeast Texas
Welcome from Houston :)

Are you building an closed chamber?

4'x8' will be a good size

Yes it will be a closed chamber. I've seen some pretty awesome ones on here.

I live just east of Houston. Can you possibly help me with which 3 lights I need? I think I'm confused by all the different names. Thanks!

Fisherfive

Southeast Texas

I have read some of the threads on owning a sulcata but I will read these even if I've read them once. I'm wanting to get as much knowledge before our little one home and have everything stable before we get him/her. Thank you so much!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I have read some of the threads on owning a sulcata but I will read these even if I've read them once. I'm wanting to get as much knowledge before our little one home and have everything stable before we get him/her. Thank you so much!

That's the key, get everything set up and adjusted prior to getting it.

With sulcata there's several temps you need to know and control

Basking area
Warm side
Cool side
Night time low

So you need a basking bulb

A uvb bulb (long tube type not compact)

And depending on the side of your enclosure maybe a regular bulb to help light it up

You need a Che or 2 (again depending on size) for heat

The Che needs to be used with a thermostat so it can come on as needed day or night to maintain the proper temps and a timer for the lights

Fisherfive

Southeast Texas
That's the key, get everything set up and adjusted prior to getting it.

With sulcata there's several temps you need to know and control

Basking area
Warm side
Cool side
Night time low

So you need a basking bulb

A uvb bulb (long tube type not compact)

And depending on the side of your enclosure maybe a regular bulb to help light it up

You need a Che or 2 (again depending on size) for heat

The Che needs to be used with a thermostat so it can come on as needed day or night to maintain the proper temps and a timer for the lights
Awesome. Thanks. I know the lights may have to be judged but how far off the substrate should they be? A foot or more?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks for being patient.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of them tell you in the instructions not to place them any closer than 12" above the back of the tortoise. But you play with moving them up or down in order to gain the temperature inside the habitat that you're looking for.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there! Welcome from Round Rock, TX! Austin area. I'm happy to see a newcomer who is not impulse buying a pet who requires a lifetime commitment. Good for you fir joining the forum now before getting your pet. Very smart of you. Your tort will be very happy as your family pet.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hello.

I have 2 sulcatas currently. Under optimal conditions the little buggers grow fast.

It's hard for most folks to think that a little tort needs space to roam but if you have the room , the 4' X 8' size is ideal.

Mine are outside & bigger ( 50 lbs & 17lbs now) but even little ones will walk & explore allot. It helps keep their bones & muscles functioning & strengthening along with the rapid weight gains.

There is a rubberized paint - can't remember what it's called @Tom knows & uses it. If you paint the entire inside with it , the humidity will not rot the wood.

There are many easier & cheaper ways to do it with large & often multiple plastic containers linked together. You'll find ideas in the enclosure section.

One suggestion. If you haven't got your baby yet , there are several breeders on the forum here who start their babies out in healthy ways which can forestall problems in the future. When you buy from a pet store you have no idea how that tort was raised, housed or fed before you got 'em.

Even if they look good & healthy , problems can show up months later.
If I was looking for a healthy baby to start now I would contact @Tom & get suggestions. I believe he might be in Texas.

Good fortune to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Here is my breakdown of the heating and lighting:
1. Basking bulb. I use 35-65 watt flood bulbs for basking in my large 4x8x2' closed chambers. Don't use spot bulbs, and MVBs (mercury vapor bulbs) will over heat a closed chamber, so I don't use those either. Raise or lower the fixture to get the temp under it around 95-100. I set these bulbs on a timer for about 12-13 hours a day. In large chambers I use one on each end.
2. Ambient temperature maintenance. This is a tropical species. That means they need it warm, day and night. For this purpose, I use one or two 100 watt CHEs (ceramic heating elements). I run these through a thermostat set at 80 degrees, and I put the probe for the thermostat over in a cool corner away from other heat sources. When the lights are on heating up the enclosure, the thermostat will keep your CHEs off. When the lights go off and the temp starts to drop below 80, the thermostat will kick your CHEs on and keep the temp at your set point. I mount these CHEs over the middle of that enclosure. When I use two of them, I space them over the middle of each side. These run and maintain your ambient temperature 24/7.
3. When it is day time, it should look like day time in your enclosure. Closed chambers can look a little dark inside at times, so I like to run a "regular" 48" florescent tube in my 4x8x2' chambers. I like the T-8 bulbs for this and anything in the color range of 5000-6500K will look nice. Don't get a 2500K bulb as those look yellowish.
4. If your tortoise will be getting outside time in a safe outdoor enclosure at least two or three times a week, you don't "need" indoor UV. If your schedule or climate (Climate won't be an issue for you in Southeast TX…) prevents this, then I like to use the Arcadia 12% HO tubes in a reflector hood. These produce very strong UV and they last a very long time. They must be mounted at least 18-20" above the tortoise, and because they are so strong, I only run them for about 3-4 hours mid day on their own separate timer. I get these UV lights here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

Here is one of my closed chambers for reference:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
This is an old thread, but I'm still using these.

If you build one like that, it will last until your baby is large enough to go live outside with a heated night box full time. If building is not your thing, you can order ready made cages here: http://www.apcages.com/home/terrestrial/terrestrial.htm
I just ordered three of the T65 cages.

I like to keep babies mostly indoors, but give them daily outdoor excursions. My general rule is one hour of sunshine in the great outdoors per inch of tortoise. Once they are around 5-6" I'll put them out in the morning and bring them in at night, weather permitting.

When you are ready, I have a whole lotta babies that are well started, well hydrated, eating everything, and are ready to go to their new homes. :)

Fisherfive

Southeast Texas
Gotcha. Will work on cenclosure this week.
Hi there! Welcome from Round Rock, TX! Austin area. I'm happy to see a newcomer who is not impulse buying a pet who requires a lifetime commitment. Good for you fir joining the forum now before getting your pet. Very smart of you. Your tort will be very happy as your family pet.

Thanks! I've been doing research on Google for about 2 months. Saw this forum and have been stalking it for a month before I joined. I want to learn as much as I can Learn before bringing him/her home. After reading so much I think I've just about confused myself.. there's a ton of information on here and am thankful to be able to ask questions without being ridiculed. Thanks again!!

Fisherfive

Southeast Texas
Hello and welcome.

Here is my breakdown of the heating and lighting:
1. Basking bulb. I use 35-65 watt flood bulbs for basking in my large 4x8x2' closed chambers. Don't use spot bulbs, and MVBs (mercury vapor bulbs) will over heat a closed chamber, so I don't use those either. Raise or lower the fixture to get the temp under it around 95-100. I set these bulbs on a timer for about 12-13 hours a day. In large chambers I use one on each end.
2. Ambient temperature maintenance. This is a tropical species. That means they need it warm, day and night. For this purpose, I use one or two 100 watt CHEs (ceramic heating elements). I run these through a thermostat set at 80 degrees, and I put the probe for the thermostat over in a cool corner away from other heat sources. When the lights are on heating up the enclosure, the thermostat will keep your CHEs off. When the lights go off and the temp starts to drop below 80, the thermostat will kick your CHEs on and keep the temp at your set point. I mount these CHEs over the middle of that enclosure. When I use two of them, I space them over the middle of each side. These run and maintain your ambient temperature 24/7.
3. When it is day time, it should look like day time in your enclosure. Closed chambers can look a little dark inside at times, so I like to run a "regular" 48" florescent tube in my 4x8x2' chambers. I like the T-8 bulbs for this and anything in the color range of 5000-6500K will look nice. Don't get a 2500K bulb as those look yellowish.
4. If your tortoise will be getting outside time in a safe outdoor enclosure at least two or three times a week, you don't "need" indoor UV. If your schedule or climate (Climate won't be an issue for you in Southeast TX…) prevents this, then I like to use the Arcadia 12% HO tubes in a reflector hood. These produce very strong UV and they last a very long time. They must be mounted at least 18-20" above the tortoise, and because they are so strong, I only run them for about 3-4 hours mid day on their own separate timer. I get these UV lights here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

Here is one of my closed chambers for reference:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
This is an old thread, but I'm still using these.

If you build one like that, it will last until your baby is large enough to go live outside with a heated night box full time. If building is not your thing, you can order ready made cages here: http://www.apcages.com/home/terrestrial/terrestrial.htm
I just ordered three of the T65 cages.

I like to keep babies mostly indoors, but give them daily outdoor excursions. My general rule is one hour of sunshine in the great outdoors per inch of tortoise. Once they are around 5-6" I'll put them out in the morning and bring them in at night, weather permitting.

When you are ready, I have a whole lotta babies that are well started, well hydrated, eating everything, and are ready to go to their new homes. :)

TOM, need help!

Quick Question.... been reading and trying to understand everything...

1. With the Basking bulb and CHE blubs, what type of fixture do you have those in?

2. What kind of timer do you use for the Arcadia 12%? I'm going to try to build on outdoor enclosure as well so that I can keep the tortoise out there per your suggestions (weather permitting)

3. Ive looked into the thermostat that you have suggested... what are some other ones that aren't as expensive.

4. I saw the awesome closed chamber enclosure that you built, what and where did you get the white temperature type gauge thing(sorry don't know what its called) that is mounted to the front inside of the enclosure?

Sorry to bother you with all of my questions. I'm trying to get everything right before getting the little guy. I fell a little better writing everything down and going online looking for it to help me better understand whats going on. But my mind is blank with trying to understand it all at once. I'm going step by step. I'm going to try to find an idea of what I want the enclosure to look like, Ive seen some awesome ones on here. But I'm liking your idea of the closed chamber as well. I will be building it in my garage for now.

I'm not sure I'm trusting the person I'm supposed to be getting one from so, when the time comes for me to get a little tortoise, once everything is setup and running. Do you just message you from here or how is that done?

If you have read this far, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TOM, need help!

Quick Question.... been reading and trying to understand everything...

1. With the Basking bulb and CHE blubs, what type of fixture do you have those in?

2. What kind of timer do you use for the Arcadia 12%? I'm going to try to build on outdoor enclosure as well so that I can keep the tortoise out there per your suggestions (weather permitting)

3. Ive looked into the thermostat that you have suggested... what are some other ones that aren't as expensive.

4. I saw the awesome closed chamber enclosure that you built, what and where did you get the white temperature type gauge thing(sorry don't know what its called) that is mounted to the front inside of the enclosure?

Sorry to bother you with all of my questions. I'm trying to get everything right before getting the little guy. I fell a little better writing everything down and going online looking for it to help me better understand whats going on. But my mind is blank with trying to understand it all at once. I'm going step by step. I'm going to try to find an idea of what I want the enclosure to look like, Ive seen some awesome ones on here. But I'm liking your idea of the closed chamber as well. I will be building it in my garage for now.

I'm not sure I'm trusting the person I'm supposed to be getting one from so, when the time comes for me to get a little tortoise, once everything is setup and running. Do you just message you from here or how is that done?

If you have read this far, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me!!!

1. I use the 10.5" ceramic based fixtures from Home Depot.
2. Home Depot, Lowes, OSH, Walmart, Target, etc… all sell digital timers for about 10 bucks.
3. I don't recall suggesting a thermostat. They cost about $30 and that is the cheapest I know of.
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
4. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but its either a thermostat, or a thermometer. I usually use digital thermometers from the hardware store, and the links from number three above are the thermostats I usually use.

Your questions are no bother. We are all here to talk torts. Your questions fuel the conversation.

I have babies hatching all year long, so just message me here when the time comes. I just sold that last of two clutches an hour ago. If I don't have any ready to go, I'll tell you where I would get one if I needed to buy one.