Hello from Sunny Florida!

Valerie0426

My name is Valerie. I moved from NC to FL 5 yrs ago & met love of my life. We have 2 male chihuahuas (Rico & Suave), pair of Lovebirds had baby in July (Velvet & Shamrock), & couple of Russian torts (Boris & Natasha). I had wanted torts for a long time, got them from locally owned pet shop. Yes, I am a beginner with the Russians. Here are my babies!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469980815.777470.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469980904.975773.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469980921.093805.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469980934.146979.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469980952.052214.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO @Valerie0426 :)

I will start with the good news that TFO has several experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the Internet and from many pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets about the best way to care for your species.

Please take the time to read these as they will help you get things right

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Pictures of the enclosure and lighting will help us to help you :)

Then I have to pass on the not so good news that Tortoises are solitary creatures that don't need, want or particularly like company. Russians, both sexes, are particularly territorial and see another as competition for food and territory. Their fights can be very nasty. You need to plan to keep your two separately - see this as a typical example

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Also, we have had several cases of dogs treating torts as chew toys. Please don't let your dogs near them.

Last edited:

Valerie0426

Torts have been together since pet shop. They were in with iguanas. They sleep side by side or separately. My Chi's have smelled them while in my hands. Not interested. Torts do not run wild in our home.

Valerie0426

I have read all the links you suggested before I posted. Thank you for your suggestions

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Please give your torts daily soaks in warm water.:tort:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Valerie, I love your managerie! My favorite is the picture of the sleeping pup with his mouth crack open showing teeth. It almost had me rolling on the floor! Love it!!! Too funny! Love the baby bird!!!! I would love to keep birds some day. Yours are precious. Your little Russians are really cute. Sounds like you have been very proactive in educating yourself on this forum. You will do very well. Glad you have found us here. And welcome from Texas

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome fellow Floridian.
You have sun?
Your photo looks familiar. We also have birds. A rabbit. A pup and a lot of fish.
I've gotta agree about keeping Russians together as being a bad idea.
Are you in south Florida?
Is making them a gigantic outdoors Playland possible?

Attachments

• 20160629_165842-1.jpg
    20160629_165842-1.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 14