Hello from Spain

viridiflavus

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
Hello, I am very happy to join the forum. I have been searching a bit through the posts and I find the forum brilliant! Hopefully I will improve my English as I learn from you on the forum.

I keep Testudo graeca graeca from Morocco and Spain and also tunisians (nabeulensis). Also a young pair of Testudo marginata

I live in north Spain. Summers here are hot, although not too much, and very dry. Winters are quite mild, barely freezing some days in December and January. But my main problem here are spring and autumn, both a bit too wet and with low temperatures, specially minimum and mean temperatures all along these seasons.

So for tunisians and spanish graecas last winter I covered their enclosure with Lumisol sheet and used six water barrels as a heat sink. It worked quite well, but i am still thinking of some ways to improve it, specially for the time when fog appears for three weeks as it happened last winter. I have no electricity so I am currently reeding on compost uses and solar heating sistems trying to figure out how to adapt them to my enclosure.

I will try to search on the forum again but if somebody is using something different from electrics for heating, I would really apreciate that information.

All the best,
Dani

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Wow. Welcome.
I've been so dependent on electricity for so long I would have a hard time without it.

Solar is useful. But will not help much in cloudy / foggy / rainy season.

Heat is produced from energy conversion. So you might be able to rig up some kind of stove with the exaught pipe passing through the enclose. Either underground or high enough above they can't touch it.

Getting consistent predictable temps would not really be possible though.

Generators work for electricity , but take refueling.
Good fortune to you