Hello from Southern California

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A very warm welcome to the forum!:D

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. and read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.

Take care when your tort is roaming around. I for one take Oli :<3: for "walks" outside (due to the fact that I live in a flat). He really does enjoy it. I literally bodyguard him! ;)
The beginners mistakes thread was very helpful!

That's awesome! Oswald loves to roam our large patio (with close supervision). We even let him run around the living room (again with close supervision...don't want him getting stuck behind anything). He seems to really love exploring!

Pics of his enclosure will come when it is finished getting set up. I am working on changing out his substrate right now to increase his humidity. I know it's important to post pics so people can give helpful critiques to ensure he is thriving well! They are coming soon!

For now, we are enjoying a nice soaking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 10

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The beginners mistakes thread was very helpful!

That's awesome! Oswald loves to roam our large patio (with close supervision). We even let him run around the living room (again with close supervision...don't want him getting stuck behind anything). He seems to really love exploring!

Pics of his enclosure will come when it is finished getting set up. I am working on changing out his substrate right now to increase his humidity. I know it's important to post pics so people can give helpful critiques to ensure he is thriving well! They are coming soon!

For now, we are enjoying a nice soaking!
He a gorgeous leopard tort!:<3:

Personally, I do not allow Oli to roam around at home: he has his enclosure. But I do feel that he needs to get out of it every now and again. Flats, I think, are NOT the ideal places for pets; torts or otherwise. Let alone that; torts are used to roam around in the wild without boundaries/borders. I do not think it is fair to keep them in enclosures 24 hours a day, no matter how large/comfortable/warm the enclosures are.:rolleyes: Know what I mean?

Southern California

Personally, I do not allow Oli to roam around at home: he has his enclosure. But I do feel that he needs to get out of it every now and again. Flats, I think, are NOT the ideal places for pets; torts or otherwise. Let alone that; torts are used to roam around in the wild without boundaries/borders. I do not think it is fair to keep them in enclosures 24 hours a day, no matter how large/comfortable/warm the enclosures are.:rolleyes: Know what I mean?
Thank you so much! We are hoping to be able to smooth his shell out as he grows. I know you can't reverse pyramiding but I have read you can help to smooth it as the tort grows, with proper humidity levels.

I can understand not letting him roam the house.

We only let him roam inside when it is too hot for mommy and daddy to be outside with him . We were just outside for "bath time" (soaking) and it's quite hot! Haha.

Southern California

Also, might I say, I LOVE your tort's name! Do you have any pics of Oli?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you so much! We are hoping to be able to smooth his shell out as he grows. I know you can't reverse pyramiding but I have read you can help to smooth it as the tort grows, with proper humidity levels.

I can understand not letting him roam the house.

We only let him roam inside when it is too hot for mommy and daddy to be outside with him . We were just outside for "bath time" (soaking) and it's quite hot! Haha.
Well it is BOILING HOT here. I live in Jordan where climate is that of a desert: extremely hot in Summer and freezing cold in Winter! Imagine: black or white, no Autumn/Spring. Moreover, a HEAT WAVE has been our "guest" for three consecutive days, with temperature reaching 37 degrees Celcius!In such cases I soak Oli up to three times a day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Also, might I say, I LOVE your tort's name! Do you have any pics of Oli?
Thanks! I named him after a German football legend:OLIVER :<3: KAHN, I love.:D OLIVER KAHN's nickname is "Oli" so I thought: "Oli be it.";)

Sorry, can't post pics of Oli now. Apologies. Will see to it.

Southern California
Well it is BOILING HOT here. I live in Jordan where climate is that of a desert: extremely hot in Summer and freezing cold in Winter! Imagine: black or white, no Autumn/Spring. Moreover, a HEAT WAVE has been our "guest" for three consecutive days, with temperature reaching 37 degrees Celcius!In such cases I soak Oli up to three times a day.

Oh man, I feel your pain with the weather! We just had one of those heat waves...maybe it went from SoCal to you! haha. It was 115 (~46 Celsius) here last week and it burned all of my plants (not to mention I don't want to see my electric bill lol). More power to you for sticking to your guns and only letting him roam outside. Also, way to go for being out in that heat to take him for "walks"!

Thank you for the tip about soaking him. I should probably start soaking Oswald more like that too. How long do you soak Oli for? I have been doing ~20 minutes per soak.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh man, I feel your pain with the weather! We just had one of those heat waves...maybe it went from SoCal to you! haha. It was 115 (~46 Celsius) here last week and it burned all of my plants (not to mention I don't want to see my electric bill lol). More power to you for sticking to your guns and only letting him roam outside. Also, way to go for being out in that heat to take him for "walks"!

Thank you for the tip about soaking him. I should probably start soaking Oswald more like that too. How long do you soak Oli for? I have been doing ~20 minutes per soak.
You are most welcome.

I soak my beloved Oli 20-30 minutes per soak. I'd advise you to do that with Oswald as well, if it's that hot.

Oh......I do NOT take Oli out for walks during the day: it's far too hot. Plus: CDD (Civil Defence Dept.) cautioned: "DO NOT GET EXPOSED TO THE SUN." I take him out at sunset, and we stay outside for 1.5 to 2 hours.

afnankutbi

:)A very warm welcome to forum !
This website is the best for people who love / have / wants tortoise. There's a lot of helpful information here. Hope you enjoy

Southern California
You are most welcome.

I soak my beloved Oli 20-30 minutes per soak. I'd advise you to do that with Oswald as well, if it's that hot.

Oh......I do NOT take Oli out for walks during the day: it's far too hot. Plus: CDD (Civil Defence Dept.) cautioned: "DO NOT GET EXPOSED TO THE SUN." I take him out at sunset, and we stay outside for 1.5 to 2 hours.

Perfect. I will most definitely do that. We want what is best for our little guy. We have no kids, so he is our "baby". We want to make sure he has the best life possible.

Wow! You're very dedicated. Oli has a great mommy! We have been taking Oswald out after work or early in the morning. We try to let him out for at least an hour a day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Perfect. I will most definitely do that. We want what is best for our little guy. We have no kids, so he is our "baby". We want to make sure he has the best life possible.

Wow! You're very dedicated. Oli has a great mommy! We have been taking Oswald out after work or early in the morning. We try to let him out for at least an hour a day.
I wish you the best of luck with your sweet little "baby.":<3:

Yep. I am a very dedicated person when it comes to someone/something I like, let alone....love.;) Just imagine the effort I put in for Oli: there is little/no care for animals/pets in this part of the world. NO food NO vets for torts!:( A member at this forum was kind and generous enough to send me mazuri for Oli! Moreover, he did NOT charge me a penny.:D The vets issue keeps me rather worried, I must admit.:( I had a nice big enclosure made for him plus lights and so on.:D

Southern California
I wish you the best of luck with your sweet little "baby.":<3:

Yep. I am a very dedicated person when it comes to someone/something I like, let alone....love.;) Just imagine the effort I put in for Oli: there is little/no care for animals/pets in this part of the world. NO food NO vets for torts!:( A member at this forum was kind and generous enough to send me mazuri for Oli! Moreover, he did NOT charge me a penny.:D The vets issue keeps me rather worried, I must admit.:( I had a nice big enclosure made for him plus lights and so on.:D

I really appreciate that.

Wow that must be very difficult. I'm glad this forum has people that are kind like that!
I would be worried without a vet too. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully he won't need a vet any time soon!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

I'm the same.
No children, so Tidgy is our surrogate child.
Our darling little girl. :<3:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I really appreciate that.

Wow that must be very difficult. I'm glad this forum has people that are kind like that!
I would be worried without a vet too. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully he won't need a vet any time soon!
Thanks so much your kind words.:D I too hope Oli :<3: won't need a vet. However, you never know.:( I looked for vets and was told that they are not available due to the fact that torts live in the wild and nobody here would think of a tort when he/she wants a pet, which is true. Vets for dogs are available. Know why? Simply because the filthy rich get dogs to guard their villas, luxurious cars and property.:( How do you like that?

Southern California
Thanks so much your kind words.:D I too hope Oli :<3: won't need a vet. However, you never know.:( I looked for vets and was told that they are not available due to the fact that torts live in the wild and nobody here would think of a tort when he/she wants a pet, which is true. Vets for dogs are available. Know why? Simply because the filthy rich get dogs to guard their villas, luxurious cars and property.:( How do you like that?
That sounds terrible. The dogs aren't even viewed as part of the family there. They are simply guards. It sickens me. Are you living in Jordan on a temporary or permanent basis?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That sounds terrible. The dogs aren't even viewed as part of the family there. They are simply guards. It sickens me. Are you living in Jordan on a temporary or permanent basis?
Oh of course in such cases dogs are NOT pets. It makes me sick too, believe me. It really is too bad.

I'm here on a temporary basis, however, I do not know how long that will last.