Hello from Riddle Oregon

Di from Oregon

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I've been researching before I get a yellow foot baby. Do you need an actual heating light or can you use a tortoise heating pad? Lots of info out there so can be confusing. Also does the full spectrum uv light on all the time or just part time? Also can baby be outside in sunshine sometimes while I'm with it. Believe me I am researching but all has been somewhat confusing and I want to do right before I get tortoise. I have an yellow bellied turtle that lives in my pond and I love her. Thank you for any help

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hello

Good questions. As far as UV , it acts like sunlight to provide vitamin D, so it can bind with calcium & keep shells healthy. Just like the sun , it should not be on 24/7. 8-10 hrs a day should be sufficient.

Heating pads. Most don't like or use them. Certainly you don't want the tort to sit directly on one , could burn the belly shell. Plus, most are cheaply made & can malfunction. Hard to regulate air temps. And, normal heat comes from above.

I think being out side with supervision is good for them. be careful not on treated lawns ( bug killer can poison them ).

There are many Redfoot keepers who can & will answer your questions better in the Species Specific section for Redfoots.

Good fortune to you.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Greetings from my 6 redfoots in Eugene

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've been researching before I get a yellow foot baby.

Do you need an actual heating light or can you use a tortoise heating pad?

Can baby be outside in sunshine sometimes while I'm with it.

Hello from Medford!

I keep a leopard, not a yellowfoot but I'll answer what I can.

If you are housing the baby primarily indoors (which you should) then yes, you'll need a heat lamp. You'll likely need a CHE for lightless, ambient night heat as well.
Heat pads aren't the best choice for babies.

Outside, absolutely. However, don't just "watch it". Create 4 walls to go around it so you don't loose it while you watch it. Trust us on this one.....

Look around here and all more questions. Happy researching!
:tort:

Di from Oregon

Oregon
Here's the cute yellow foot baby, can't believe how small it is. Good appetite it just ate some squash. How long do you keep the environment it lives covered. Also mad two. One for outdoors while I'm present and one for indoors. I have uv b light and heat light for indoors. Thank you for any advice. Also I soaked it in warm water for half an hour already too. It's about 2 1/2 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Di from Oregon

Oregon
Yes and has an appetite too, I guess I should make my question more clearer! What age do they have to be before they don't need to be fully covered. I do keep a small area uncovered for air circulation.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I kept my smallest redfoot in a closed chamber for 2 years and then relaxed things a bit, but it will need high humidity of some sort for its entire life.

The enclosure shouldn't be sealed tight, there should be some air exchange (opening and closing the door through out the the day also accomplishes this) - just don't put ventilation holes in the top or the moist air will all escape immediately.

Can we see your set up so far?

Di from Oregon

Oregon
Yes of course I have a smaller enclosure outdoors with screen on and mist artificial plants regularly to keep humidity up. Inside container is larger, I use aluminum foil to cover with plywood. But spends most Day outdoor because it's great summer weather. I'm aware that it will always need humidity but wanted to know how long you keep cover on. Two men on you tube "Earnest Johnson" and Kamp Kenan both or very knowledgeable about red and yellow foot tortoises so have learned more. Do have a uvb and heat lamp but haven't used uvb yet because I have tortoise outside most of day. Thank you for replying back. These pics are the outdoor and indoor containers.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6