Hello from Puerto Rico!

FloppyDisk

Just bought my 7 month old sulcata tortoise few hours ago from a new breeder. I have read a lot of threads from this forum on how to care for these types of torts and pretty much know in theory that to do, already ordered a good UVB light and coconut coir substrate from amazon and soon ill buy some wood to make a good enclosure for my new little friend. Id love to hear any tips or recommendations to better care for my tort. Also heres a pic of him.

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-03 at 8.50.13 AM.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Lovely baby you have there.
It would have been a better idea to get the enclosure set up before he arrived, where's he living now ?
I know you said you've read a lot of stuff here, but here's a couple of threads in case you've missed them.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
Our enclosures section has lots of good ideas of how to house your new friend.

FloppyDisk

Thanks and i have a temporary glass tank that i'm currently cleaning and some substrate the breeder gave me while everything arrives. And thanks for the links, i already read the 2nd one but ill still read it again since i wanna make sure my sulcata is always healthy. About the enclosure, can i just use wood from homedepot and put tarping on the inside? since i already have an idea of what im building

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If that's fern you're offering for food, I'd not offer it too often. Quite a few of the fern varieties contain an enzyme that makes Vitamin B1 less available to the body.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks and i have a temporary glass tank that i'm currently cleaning and some substrate the breeder gave me while everything arrives. And thanks for the links, i already read the 2nd one but ill still read it again since i wanna make sure my sulcata is always healthy. About the enclosure, can i just use wood from homedepot and put tarping on the inside? since i already have an idea of what im building
Yep, that should be fine.
But make sure you have enough of an area for the tort.
He'll need a nice big area to roam around in and exercise and needs to walk to help digest food.

FloppyDisk

Thanks to all btw, the fern was provided by the breeder and i have some other things for him to eat and yeah, he has a lot of room to roam around, i also have a nice little pen outside for him to get some real sun.