Hello from Poland :)

palobo

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi,
I'm Pawel, and I would like to introduce to you my two (2,5 and 1 month old) testudo hermanni fellas (unnamed yet :(). Unfortunetly I'm living on a flat, so mostly they will spend their life indoor, but I will try my best to make them happy as much as I can :)

Here they are:
20663404_1638205472888794_234773942_o.jpg

Cheers!

palobo

Poland
Hello Tidgy's Dad!

Gdynia is beautifull, but yes - Polands winter is really cold, especially in the south part - winter is freezing (-20, sometimes -30 celsius degrees), and summers are reeeaally hot (last week was around 40 celsius).

At this moment both of them are in same enclosure - my plan was to keep them together, until they grow up a bit, and seperate them (like in year or yearh and half). I have made a thread here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-testudo-hermanni.159833/, can you take a look?
Thanks very much!:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Cześć Paweł! Ja też rodem z Polski ale mieszkam w Texasie a obecnie na lato na Florydzie z dziećmi. W ten weekend wracamy do domu. Też mam żółwiki. Moje są Redfooted, Twoje są prześliczne ale pewnie będziesz musiał ich rodzielić prędzej niż za rok bo one niestety nie są towarzyskie i najczęściej ten silniejszy będzie męczyć i straszyć cały czas tego słabszego i on nie będzie na wadze przybierać, przestanie rosnąć, będzie stressed out no ale przez to poddatny na choroby, taka słabowinka. Takie bullied babies bardzo często umierają. Poszukaj sobie threads o "tortoise bullying" i zobaczysz jakie te istotki potrafia byc okrutne w imię zdominowania swojego terytorium szczegolnie jak zaczynaja wiek dojrzewania. Twoje jeszcze malutkie są ale dużo ludzi pisze o maleńkich babies ktore trzymane parami nie rosną, przestają jeść, być aktywne. Poczytaj sobie i tym i wtedy możesz sobie zweryfikować swoje plany tak żeby bylo dobrze dla Ciebie i żółwików. Poszukaj "browse" feature i tam pod ogólnymi "tortoise" poszukaj też "keeping tortoise in pairs". Bardzo duzo ciekawych informacji daje tam Tom, od niego dowiesz sie bardzo bardzo dużo. No ale teraz po angielsku żeby inni rozumieli co my tu sobie piszemy. Welcome to the Forum. Very happy to have you and looking forward to seeing you post questions, pictures, share experiences. It's great to have you here:)

palobo

Poland
Dziękuję za odpowiedź! :) Odnoszę niestety podobne wrażenie do tego o czym napisałaś - mały je tylko wtedy, kiedy większego nie ma w pobliżu. Jutro z dziewczyną wybieramy się do sklepów poszukać póki co plastikowej miski, która przez najbliższe parę miesięcy posłuży jako terrarium, natomiast jak troszkę podrośnie zafunduję mu pełnowymiarowe mieszkanie na własność :)
Aktualnie, trochę wbrew temu o czym mówimy, oba żółwiki smacznie śpią nie wadząc sobie :)20668337_1641114439264564_118306565_n.jpg

Nice to have someone from my own country! :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Dziękuję za odpowiedź! :) Odnoszę niestety podobne wrażenie do tego o czym napisałaś - mały je tylko wtedy, kiedy większego nie ma w pobliżu. Jutro z dziewczyną wybieramy się do sklepów poszukać póki co plastikowej miski, która przez najbliższe parę miesięcy posłuży jako terrarium, natomiast jak troszkę podrośnie zafunduję mu pełnowymiarowe mieszkanie na własność :)
Aktualnie, trochę wbrew temu o czym mówimy, oba żółwiki smacznie śpią nie wadząc sobie :)View attachment 214991

Nice to have someone from my own country! :)
Super! And I see you use probs to measure your temps. That's great. I find my temp gun being best thing since the sliced bread. When mine where babies I had 4 cheap digital humidity meters which had thermometers in them as well sitting in 4 corners of the tank, the probes of the probed ones inside the hides and the infrared fir spot checks everyplace I needed including the temp of their bath water and their shells to see how warm they are. Keep in mind that heat raises up and you need to keep things at 80F (26.6 C) for them at the substrate level when humidity is high, and HIGH humidity is your goal in order to help them grow pretty smooth shells. They are still very little. Be sure they have their own hides you may need to place them each in their own. Be sure both hides are humid and warm inside. Feed them separately where they can't see each other. Provide plenty of hiding areas and sight barriers (plants and such) for them to not have each other in plain sight all the time. That stresses them out. What do you use for heat? And how do you manage to keep humidity up?

Pearly

5 Year Member
W porządku, dziękuję! :)

I'm from south part of Poland, living in Katowice at this moment. :)
Chciałam tylko dodac że mieszkałam niedaleko Ciebie, w czasie podstawówki w Jastrzębiu Zdroju, w czasie liceum w Wodzislawiu Śląskim, a potem w Rybniku. Do Katowic czasem jeździłam na szkolne olimpiady bo to miasto wojewódzkie było, i na zakupy bo Jastrzębie to zascianek był i za komuny nic w sklepach tam nie było. Czasem do kina (bo wiecej filmow grali) no i Katowice to kolejowy i autobusowy hub był. Tam zawsze przesiadalam sie na autobusy do Dąbrowy Górniczej gdzie do dziś mam rodzinę. Bardzo dobrze też znalam katowicki dworzec kolejowy, bo tam zawsze (albo czasem w Gliwicach) mialam polaczenie do Lublina. Ah, to byly czasy! One more thing, when you tak your baby torts outside, be sure the grass there has not been treattd with chemical and watch out for a dog poo. Heartworm medicine is excreted with poop and our silly torts sometime like to eat poo. I know! It's gross! But they sometimes do that and if the dog was treated with that heartworm medicine it is leathal for your tort so just keep your eyes open and be vigilant.

palobo

Poland
There's a weird thing - both of them prefer to sleep on dry side (40%), not humid(80%+). They have their own hides, and both is not using it, they just lay next to basking spot.
For humidity, I'm using water spray + 2 liters of water per 3-4 day. For warming there's a halogen bulb, so temperature is around 36-39 celsius degrees. Earlier there was a heating rock, but I have turn it down.

palobo

Poland
Chciałam tylko dodac że mieszkałam niedaleko Ciebie, w czasie podstawówki w Jastrzębiu Zdroju, w czasie liceum w Wodzislawiu Śląskim, a potem w Rybniku. Do Katowic czasem jeździłam na szkolne olimpiady bo to miasto wojewódzkie było, i na zakupy bo Jastrzębie to zascianek był i za komuny nic w sklepach tam nie było. Czasem do kina (bo wiecej filmow grali) no i Katowice to kolejowy i autobusowy hub był. Tam zawsze przesiadalam sie na autobusy do Dąbrowy Górniczej gdzie do dziś mam rodzinę. Bardzo dobrze też znalam katowicki dworzec kolejowy, bo tam zawsze (albo czasem w Gliwicach) mialam polaczenie do Lublina. Ah, to byly czasy! One more thing, when you tak your baby torts outside, be sure the grass there has not been treattd with chemical and watch out for a dog poo. Heartworm medicine is excreted with poop and our silly torts sometime like to eat poo. I know! It's gross! But they sometimes do that and if the dog was treated with that heartworm medicine it is leathal for your tort so just keep your eyes open and be vigilant.

Gliwice to moje rodzinne miasto, w Katowicach jestem od niedawna :) Swoją drogą, jeśli chodzi o Katowice, to baaaaardzo się zmieniły (na plus).

There's only two places where my tortoises go outside - my parents garden (I have to drive there for like 25mins by a car, it's a bit exhausting for them. Second option is forest clearing nearby, and always before I let them go to the ground, I'm looking around :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Gliwice to moje rodzinne miasto, w Katowicach jestem od niedawna :) Swoją drogą, jeśli chodzi o Katowice, to baaaaardzo się zmieniły (na plus).

There's only two places where my tortoises go outside - my parents garden (I have to drive there for like 25mins by a car, it's a bit exhausting for them. Second option is forest clearing nearby, and always before I let them go to the ground, I'm looking around :)
Tak jak większość miast się w Polsce zmieniała odkąd przestaliśmy ładować na Wschód. Cieszy mnie to. And one more thing about torts outings, the enclosure you have looks ok, just watch for the little gaps at the ground level. Those little guys can be very persistent in their attempts to go exploring which is their nature (walk miles every day in seach of food and mates). Between little gaps, softer ground and grass they may work themselves out and once out... it's almost impossible to find those little ones. I had lost one of mine once, in my own garden. Found him 4 wks later. I consider myself very lucky. It's better to be safe than sorry and learn on mistakes of people before you

palobo

Poland
Tak jak większość miast się w Polsce zmieniała odkąd przestaliśmy ładować na Wschód. Cieszy mnie to. And one more thing about torts outings, the enclosure you have looks ok, just watch for the little gaps at the ground level. Those little guys can be very persistent in their attempts to go exploring which is their nature (walk miles every day in seach of food and mates). Between little gaps, softer ground and grass they may work themselves out and once out... it's almost impossible to find those little ones. I had lost one of mine once, in my own garden. Found him 4 wks later. I consider myself very lucky. It's better to be safe than sorry and learn on mistakes of people before you

When we are outside, almost all the time someone is looking at them - 50% time me, 50% time my girlfriend :)
Tortoises-behaviour update:
little one is sleeping like this:
20706657_1641290555913619_1718625641_n.jpg

and bigger one is underground.

So tonight noone is dominating anyone :p