Hello from Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyscale_Reptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
:p Here's a big hello from Oregon and the Pacific Northwest of USA!

My name is Hannah, and I am incredibly new. I spend most of my time hanging around gecko forums, because that is what my main focus has been in.

However, my first ever reptile that I saw and took care of was my uncle's leopard tortoise who I called "Hissy" and believed was a cat until I was ten years old. ((At ten I think my brain finally found the "on" switch)) After she died a year ago I began contemplating getting my own tortoise.

However, before I even think about that I have lots more research to do... ;) No worries, I've been on forums long enough to become great friends with the search function, so I apologize if I don't post much.

About me... I'm seventeen years old, attending community college, earning an associates in Animal Technology, and being a reptile nerd. I also love building things, reading, painting, and building websites.

Sorry if this is too long or boring. I have a habit of rambling... Anyways, nice to meet you all!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Hi Hannah, I'm glad you found us!
Welcome to TFo

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) Welcome! Your going to be able to use so many of the things you enjoy doing once you decide to get a tortoise (if you do). Seeing visions of you building some wonderful enclosures. :D Having geckos also will have given you a very nice basic reptile husbandry start you will find carries over to the torts too. Sounds like some day, some tortoise is going to get lucky and have you for it's caretaker. :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO! What tortoises have you been thinking about and maybe we can refer you to some good caresheets.

Greyscale_Reptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you all for the welcome!

As for torts I've been considering either a Red-footed Tortoise, Herman's Tortoise, or a Greek Tortoise.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you would make a great tort mommy!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Welcome Hannah!

I was thinking I was the only person in Oregon that has or wants to raise tortoises. Depending on where you're at, I would go more for a colder tolerant species. Not that it gets that cold here but it just warms up so slow I can't put my torts out until noon or later. Even when we have a week or more of 100+ temps, it still can get down into the 50's or 60's at night.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need here.

Chucky

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Hannah, We would be happy to answer any questions you may have. And there is lots of reading to do on the spieces you mentioned your interesed in on the forum.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
BTW Hannah, I raise Redfoots and Sulcatas here just to let you know that you can raise them here if you want. I wasn't trying to talk you out of anything, just letting you know.

Greyscale_Reptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Chucky said:
BTW Hannah, I raise Redfoots and Sulcatas here just to let you know that you can raise them here if you want. I wasn't trying to talk you out of anything, just letting you know.

Oh, no worries! I've decided on Greek Tortoises anyway. After researching a lot I realized that redfoots might not be as easy as I've been told.

I'll be making an indoor enclosure, and probably only letting my torts outside when it gets much, much, much warmer. It's spring and yet today it snowed where I lived again... Just another reminder that I should move to a warmer state. ;)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
where in Oregon do you live?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Greyscale_Reptiles said:
Chucky said:

Oh, no worries! I've decided on Greek Tortoises anyway. After researching a lot I realized that redfoots might not be as easy as I've been told.

I'll be making an indoor enclosure, and probably only letting my torts outside when it gets much, much, much warmer. It's spring and yet today it snowed where I lived again... Just another reminder that I should move to a warmer state. ;)

I know what you mean about the snow. Couple weeks ago we had mid 70 temps for 3 days and then it snowed....crazy I tell ya!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Well that figures, I thought maybe I finally found someone that I could talk tortoise with and they're almost a state away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.