Hello from Northern Arizona :)

Savannah Osterdock

Location (City and/or State)
Winslow, AZ
Hi everyone,

I'm Savannah and I am new to the forum and tortoises. I have wanted to adopt a tortoise for as long as I can remember because I am fascinated by the prospect that it is a family pet you can pass on through generations. I WANT my tortoise to outlive me!

I have a coworker who will be giving me their tortoise within the next few weeks. I am not entirely sure of the tortoise's age or species (I have a feeling it may be a desert tortoise?) as I have not met them yet, but I joined the forum because I would love suggestions for building the best tortoise habitat possible.

My coworker said that the tortoise is fairly small (she gestured about the size of an apricot). I live in an area that is not suitable for torts during the winter (snow and ice) but we have wonderfully mild springs/autumns and warm summers; I am planning on keeping my tortoise indoors most of the time.

Please feel free to advise as to safe live plants, substrate, material of accessories/dens/shelters and your favorite brands for heat lamps/other tortoise equipment. Thanks so much! I cant wait to finally make my tortoise dreams come true!!! :)

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi, all your questions depend a lot on the type of tortoise it is. See if your co worker can send you a picture and you can up load it here. Then we can start pointing you in the right direction. Look at the species specific pages and read the care sheets at the top of the pages. you can see which practices overlap and what is species specific. the more you read the better idea you will have about caring for your new tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome from a Jamaican tortoise owner.

Savannah Osterdock

Winslow, AZ
Hello everyone!

I do not have a picture yet, but my coworker said it is a desert tortoise (she actually didnt know at first and had to do some research to figure it out).
Thanks everyone!