Hello from me and Eddie!

Kimbles2009

Location (City and/or State)
Peterborough UK
Hello everyone

I'm Kim, thank you so much for adding me to your group!
I have a little Horsefield called Eddie who is about 3 years old, I think!
I am pretty new to owning a tortoise and want to learn as much as possible to help keep him healthy and happy!
I am a little worried that he's showing signs of pyramiding? What do you think?
Also, I'm finding lots of conflicting opinions on whether I need to worry about humidity for him? He lives in an open top tortoise table and weather permitting, I get him out in the sunshine whenever I can!
Hope you can answer my questions!
Look forward to talking to you all!
Love
Kim and Eddie! 20170625_111335.jpg 20170625_111538.jpg

Attachments

• 20170529_123345.jpg
    20170529_123345.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
How big is your tortoise? If he's close to full grown the bumpiness or rather pyramiding that you're seeing is permanent. If he's still only about 2 or 3 inches then he has a lot of growth to go and if the rest of the growth is smooth the bumpiness won't be as noticeable if that makes sense. So if he's already full ground no need to put him in a high humidity chamber to stop the pyramiding. That being said he should have humidity. If he is still young then you'll either need to get him out of the tortoise table that you have and into a closed chamber or try and modify the one he's in into a closed chamber. If you don't know what a closed chamber is put it in the search bar above. There has been a lot of conversations about it. you can read up. That button type temperature humidity gauge is not very reliable I recommend these....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 6

Kimbles2009

Peterborough UK
How big is your tortoise? If he's close to full grown the bumpiness or rather pyramiding that you're seeing is permanent. If he's still only about 2 or 3 inches then he has a lot of growth to go and if the rest of the growth is smooth the bumpiness won't be as noticeable if that makes sense. So if he's already full ground no need to put him in a high humidity chamber to stop the pyramiding. That being said he should have humidity. If he is still young then you'll either need to get him out of the tortoise table that you have and into a closed chamber or try and modify the one he's in into a closed chamber. If you don't know what a closed chamber is put it in the search bar above. There has been a lot of conversations about it. you can read up. That button type temperature humidity gauge is not very reliable I recommend these....

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Eddie is about 3.5 inches at the moment so hopefully I have time to correct the bumps on him! I'll have a look at the posts you suggested, thank you! I'm a bit confused as there is so much conflicting advice out there! When I got him, I was told it was absolutely necessary to keep him in an open top table! I have brought a humidity monitor and it reads about 55%, I guess that is too low?
Does he need to be in a humidity chamber permanently or for so long each day?
I'm so worried about not getting his care right! :(

Thank you again!

Kim

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Permanently until full grown to counterbalance the damage done by an open table. Humidity about 80%. Keep temp up above 80 EVERYWHERE in his enclosure with humidity that high or he can get a respiratory infection. Depending where you live if you can get him outside for sun 30 minutes a couple times a week then he wouldn't need a uvb bulb. Some of the deformation could be MBD caused by lack of calcium. Calcium powder suppliments, cuttle Bone and cactus pads help there.