Hello from Los Angeles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thats what I thought but when I asked the store person (petco... not LLLReptile) they said it is really hard to clean... I didnt really believe them. I will probably get some of that to make a little green area hah.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
purpod said:
HIya Ben ~

If you get a new lamp, they usually have a clipping device included so that you can hang the lamp on the edge of the tank, if indeed, it is a tank you are using for the enclosure.

For my lil' leopard, his indoor "bedroom" has some reptile carpet I got at PetCo; the package comes with two, so you can wash one and still have another to replace it with during the washing process. I really like it cuz it's super easy to clean, and saves me money from having to buy bedding on a continual basis... plus there are zero health risks involved too.

Anyways, enjoy your new lil' shelled bud, and welcome to TF ~
Purpod

Oh yeah, It does have a little clip on, but If I am going to get a 100w MVB I will need to move it higher above the enclosure. Right now with a 60w clipped it gets to 93-96F. That why I was looking at the little light stand hanger thingies... look kind of like bird cage stands.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Greetings All ~

Isa ~ I don't usually use soap on my reptiles stuffs; altho on occasion, I will mix in about 1/4 cup of bleach, and then double rinse.

Ben ~ The nice thing about the carpets is that the feces are easily removed {unless there is some kind of intestinal thing happening, and the stool is loose} and a powerful rinse/wash and the enclosure is cleaned at my leisure, as the second carpet allows for such ~ & since I live in So. Cal, I just put the carpets on my patio area, and they soon dry {the carpets are not thick}.
Also, you can always start with a lesser wattage bulb, so as not to toast your new bud, and make it a larger one as you increase his enclosure.

Now, having sworn up & down about the carpets, I should also point out that King Tortie has a half dirt and half sand enclosure outside, which is also lush with DT grasses, strawberry leaves & blooms, parsley, and {a few} shamrocks {left}. The carpeting is only used in his 'bedroom', basically where he sleeps indoors ;)

Have a blessed afternoon, everyone ~
Purpod

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I see, cool stuff. I know there are a lot of people who do not like to use alfalfa hay but from what I have read it seems fine. Even if they eat it, it is very low in protein. In fact from what I have read, it is a hay that could be part of their diet, but it is lacking in nutritional values. Anyways he is sleeping under some of that right now near the heat bulb, do you think I should try to have him learn to sleep somewhere else...ie do not make any sleeping area available near the bulb?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
purpod said:
Greetings All ~

Isa ~ I don't usually use soap on my reptiles stuffs; altho on occasion, I will mix in about 1/4 cup of bleach, and then double rinse.

Ben ~ The nice thing about the carpets is that the feces are easily removed {unless there is some kind of intestinal thing happening, and the stool is loose} and a powerful rinse/wash and the enclosure is cleaned at my leisure, as the second carpet allows for such ~ & since I live in So. Cal, I just put the carpets on my patio area, and they soon dry {the carpets are not thick}.
Also, you can always start with a lesser wattage bulb, so as not to toast your new bud, and make it a larger one as you increase his enclosure.

Now, having sworn up & down about the carpets, I should also point out that King Tortie has a half dirt and half sand enclosure outside, which is also lush with DT grasses, strawberry leaves & blooms, parsley, and {a few} shamrocks {left}. The carpeting is only used in his 'bedroom', basically where he sleeps indoors ;)

Have a blessed afternoon, everyone ~
Purpod

Thanks Purpod :D

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Ben ~ It would seem to me that a hide provided on the hot end and on the cool end of the enclosure will allow your lil guy to decide for himself if he wants to be warm or cool ~

And Isa ~ no problem, anything I can do to help ~

Purpod

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
purpod said:
Hiya Ben ~ It would seem to me that a hide provided on the hot end and on the cool end of the enclosure will allow your lil guy to decide for himself if he wants to be warm or cool ~

And Isa ~ no problem, anything I can do to help ~

Purpod

Thanks! I was a little worried hah. Right now the little guy is completely his little half log and burrowing himself in the bedding, its a pretty funny process to watch, looks almost like those old cartoons where you just see the ground bounce up as a gopher travels underneath.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
It's great that you are enjoying your lil' bud so much ~ Have fun, Ben.

Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes, I have used the reptile carpet. I still use it in the hospital enclosure. It is easy to clean I just throw it in the washer. Do not use Soap. Like Purpod said sometimes a little dilute solution of bleach and rinse really, really well-no smell left. Do not use Hay on top the carpet. It makes it a real pain to clean.
These are the substrates I have used;
1) Timothy Hay
2) Reptile Carpet
3) Reptile carpet & timothy hay
4) clean Yard dirt
5) dirt and sand
6) sand and Coco fiber
7) a mix of #s, 4,5 & 6
8) A mix of any of #s4.5 & 6 and shredded hemp or Aspen
9) Shredded Aspen
I really don't think there is any one substrate that is the superior substrate. I chose Aspen.
It works well for me I was a little scared my baby Greeks would eat it but I watched them close and there has been no problem other than them mouthing it at first. I think you need to experiment and find what works best for you. If right now you have hay by all means use it up. Then try something different until you find what works best for you and your tort. Ben as far as the bulbs are concerned. I would use the bulbs you have change them when the time is up. most florescent UVBs last 6 months. So change your bulb if you chose at that time. My next bulb I plan on getting is the Mega Ray UVB but I don't change anything out until it is used up. The equipment for torts can be expensive and if I changed every time someone else suggested something or something new came on the market I would be broke-and I am close enough to that now especially working for the State of CA. And Alfalfa hay IS high in protein. that is why you would not want to feed it to your Greek. Plus Greeks do not metabolize the silica in the hay well. Remember the Younger years are the informative years thus this is when they do the most growing and changing and when you want to give them the best you can. Greeks do not really like hay like Sullys and Leos. So they usually don't eat much hay anyway, which if they are on Alfalfa hay is a good thing.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Yes, I have used the reptile carpet. I still use it in the hospital enclosure. It is easy to clean I just throw it in the washer. Do not use Soap. Like Purpod said sometimes a little dilute solution of bleach and rinse really, really well-no smell left. Do not use Hay on top the carpet. It makes it a real pain to clean.
These are the substrates I have used;
1) Timothy Hay
2) Reptile Carpet
3) Reptile carpet & timothy hay
4) clean Yard dirt
5) dirt and sand
6) sand and Coco fiber
7) a mix of #s, 4,5 & 6
8) A mix of any of #s4.5 & 6 and shredded hemp or Aspen
9) Shredded Aspen
I really don't think there is any one substrate that is the superior substrate. I chose Aspen.
It works well for me I was a little scared my baby Greeks would eat it but I watched them close and there has been no problem other than them mouthing it at first. I think you need to experiment and find what works best for you. If right now you have hay by all means use it up. Then try something different until you find what works best for you and your tort. Ben as far as the bulbs are concerned. I would use the bulbs you have change them when the time is up. most florescent UVBs last 6 months. So change your bulb if you chose at that time. My next bulb I plan on getting is the Mega Ray UVB but I don't change anything out until it is used up. The equipment for torts can be expensive and if I changed every time someone else suggested something or something new came on the market I would be broke-and I am close enough to that now especially working for the State of CA. And Alfalfa hay IS high in protein. that is why you would not want to feed it to your Greek. Plus Greeks do not metabolize the silica in the hay well. Remember the Younger years are the informative years thus this is when they do the most growing and changing and when you want to give them the best you can. Greeks do not really like hay like Sullys and Leos. So they usually don't eat much hay anyway, which if they are on Alfalfa hay is a good thing.

Thanks! thats good to hear, I have been slowly taking out some of the hay, there is just a little here and there because he seems to like to burrow under it at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.