Hello! from Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello all,

I'm excited to be a part of what looks like an awesome, tortoise-loving community. I just fostered my first tortoise, a Russian named Lizzie who (by stories/memories/other peoples' accounts is supposedly around 10 years old).

I was acquainted with Lizzie prior to him (funny story on that later) coming to live with me, as he was part of a local non-profit rehab facility which housed a lot of non-releasable reptiles (some native, but many former pets/rescues from the pet trade). While they unfortunately closed, I was able to foster Lizzie myself (I had already been wanting a tortoise, and taking in an old friend who I had already grown attached to was an opportunity I didn't want to pass on!)

The first thing I realized was that Lizzie, while being considered female by caretakers, and many 'fans' in the local community--is most definitely a male. But names stick, and he's already a bit infamous locally, so I'll keep it I guess. Mostly I just have it ingrained too much now!

While his past home was a unique service, run by many dedicated volunteers, sometimes multiple hands, and little consistency meant that Lizzie wasn't always getting the attention he might have needed. Lizzie has always been a rather active tort, but often didn't get much enrichment in her previous enclosure, which I felt inhibited a lot of his natural inclinations.

I'm happy to say that he is much more active than I had ever seen him in his past enclosure--he's always been a feisty personality--and now he has an outlet to be himself! Burrowing, bathing more, enjoying walks outside in my clover-studded backyard. I am hoping to make an outdoor enclosure by the spring, so he can have extended outdoor stays, which I know he will enjoy. He gets grumpy when I take him inside after a day of frolicking. haha

Anyway, that was a bit of a long intro, but I love my new family member, and hope you do too!

21729565_10156004774876062_364135407_o.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to tfo! Sounds like you got it going on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Love the background intro.
You came to the right place for correct tort info, and to chat with a bunch of crazy tort and animals in general lovers.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mom, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Lizzie.:)