Hello from IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Hello all,

I have two hingeback tortoises, Simon and Sam. They are both Home's hingebacks, though Simon's coloration is definitely closer to the erosa. I got Simon about 7 years ago and Sam a year later (back when I still thought Simon was a girl!). We all started out in FL, but we moved so now they're both living rather comfortably in southern Indiana (greater Louisville area). Our set-up involves an outdoor run during warm weather and 2' x 4' tortoise tables that I made out of plexi (figured it'd survive moisture better than wood) that are in the process of being replaced with something a little bigger.

Mike

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi welcome to the forum...don't your guys hibernate? I don't keep them, but I do keep several other species...anyhow, welcome to the show...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

150372zcfa7aswcs.jpg

to the forum!

I don't keep hingebacks, but there are some forum members who do and have quite a bit of knowledge about them. Please feel free to take a look in our archives, and ask any questions you may have. Nice to meet you!

Yvonne

Julirs

5 Year Member
Tamps Bay, Florida
chairman said:
Hello all,

I have two hingeback tortoises, Simon and Sam. They are both Home's hingebacks, though Simon's coloration is definitely closer to the erosa. I got Simon about 7 years ago and Sam a year later (back when I still thought Simon was a girl!). We all started out in FL, but we moved so now they're both living rather comfortably in southern Indiana (greater Louisville area). Our set-up involves an outdoor run during warm weather and 2' x 4' tortoise tables that I made out of plexi (figured it'd survive moisture better than wood) that are in the process of being replaced with something a little bigger.

Mike

Welcome-I am new to tortoises myself. We started out in Jeffersonville IN and ended up here in sunny Florida-a bit backwards from your move. Why in the world would one move from here to there? :)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Thanks for the welcomes!

Maggie- No, they don't hibernate. Their natural range is slightly north of the equator in western Africa. They do slow down a bit when the temps drop down to the lower end of their range, which is about 70 F (21 C).

Yvonne- I was actually quite excited to see that this forum has an area set aside for them. I think this is the first one that I have found that does. Consequently, when I was looking around for new habitat ideas and saw the hingeback section, I decided that I had to sign up.

Mike

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*doing the happy dance!!* Another hinge person!!!!! A huge welcome to our site. I hope to hear more about your tortoises.

Jacqui a fellow Hinge lover:D

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I'm busy creating a new indoor enclosure for my torts, but I plan to get pics of them in the hingeback forum as soon as I get a chance.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.