Hello from durham help and advice needed please

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Depends on the size and species of tortoise.
But 4' by 8' is generally about a minimum area.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's very nice but a mesh top won't keep the heat and humidity in. Maybe partially use plexiglass or something similar ?

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I like this but smaller with mesh top

Welcome!

From what I've learned about torts, that table probably isn't big enough ;) My partner and I are building a similar (but presumably smaller) table to that, but with a hinged plexiglass top as well. We are getting a hatchling redfoot next week. We assume we'll have to build another table (or another wing to attach to this one) in a few years. We are going to have an outdoor enclosure as well. Torts like to explore!

To see our progress, you can look up @LemmyBites and click on the only thread she's posted. She's been posting the build step by step. (She's painting decorative elements as I type!)

Good luck with your build!

Mammyjuls

Hi would this table be big enough for a baby redfoot or spur thighed tortoise
And to what age would it last
It is only going to be for a baby one as the husband is going to make a big one
It is 4ft lengh by 18 ichens wide

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-31-18-00-04.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-31-18-00-04.png
    529.4 KB · Views: 8

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
my fist thought is to stick a 'hat' on it, acrylic is an easy solution... makes managing temp and humidity sooo much easier (especially on the electric bill!)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
4 foot is fine, but I think18 " may be too narrow when you consider you will need to put some plants etc in Won't give it much room to explore or space to move away from the heat when it wants, It will also have to be replaced/extended sooner rather than later,but having said that I have never had a baby tort myself so see what those who have reared torts say.

Mammyjuls

It would not be in there long as my husband is going to build a bigger one sowould only be in there 4 weeks at max

Also can i ask when people say ithas to be 8 foot by 4 foot if it was a two story one with the room at the top dos it still have to be 8 ft long as my husband is going to do two story one were it has upstairs for basking

Mammyjuls

my fist thought is to stick a 'hat' on it, acrylic is an easy solution... makes managing temp and humidity sooo much easier (especially on the electric bill!)
Hat on do you mean the mesh top would need to be covered with maybe fake glass ?

Mammyjuls

Ok got my leopard tortoiseto to day not named him yet going to get some coco coir tomo for him

Also got got repti glo 10.0 uvb light
And got ceramic heater 60w

Also the shop give me a cyttlefish thi g for tortoise to chew on and said i would not need to give him the callium powder for two weeks asthis will do is the right as never heard of that ???

Also what do i need to check the temp and the humitity in the enclouser i am in uk tyne and wear

I made a hide for him
And got the water bowl

Is there any think else anyone can think of that i need to add

Also do i leave both light on all night or do i need to turn on of at nigh

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
light off at night, torts need darkness to sleep. a temperature gun is good to have. a hygrometer I believe its called to check humidity, avoid the dial type though best do digital :)

BillieTurtle

Hello :) im also gonna get a tortoise! And ive been really looking through the species and if your new to tortoises, like me, i suggest starting small. A greek tortoise would be good. They dont grow much, me personally im getting a hermann tortoise. Males only grow 5-6 inches and females 7-8 inches. Either way research your stuff really really well because you dont want to end up with a huge monster lol