Hello from durham help and advice needed please

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Have a look at our species specific section and the Photos of Tortoises forum here to get hundreds of pics of the different species.
Decide which one you like, study the relevant care sheets and we'll help you with the set up, once you've decided as each one has slightly different requirements.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes thats why o was asking what i needed so can check for my self and make sure i have every think needed
As Adam said you'd be better off buying everything separately. It is really annoying to see pet shops conning people into buying expensive stuff that is unsuitable and harmful to the tort. I feel sad when I see the conditions pet shop torts are kept in. They are only interested in profit - not after care.
Some things to remember are:
  • Sand and pellet type substrate or anything with chemicals or little white bits is no good and can make your tort ill/die
  • Any sort of coiled bulbs damage eyes and make the tort ill or cause death.
  • Cheap terracotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate are safer than the expensive dishes sort they'll try to sell you, some of which can be a drowning hazard.
  • Dried pellets should only be used to supplement fresh foods not instead of them. See the list of fresh foods your tort needs on the caresheet for the species you chose.
Very often what seems like a good all-in-one buy is a waste of money in the end because you end up having to change everything.
I wouldn't buy anything until you check here to see if it is OK it will save you money not only on equipment but also on vets bills!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are red food tortoises very big when fully grow has people on here got any pics of red food or spur or hemmans tortoise abult ones so i can ge what kind of size they are

These are lovley animals and have wanted one from being little
@ZEROPILOT will be able to tell you more about redfoots

The Tortoise Garden

West Palm Beach, FL
Hi i am going to buy a tortiose and not sure with one to get looked at spur tortoise are these good as a first one also should i get a tortiose table or a enclosed closure ?? And can a yone give me any more adivic3 on tortoises as never had one before thanks
Hi there from the other side of the pond! So glad that you are asking questions first and doing your research! I agree with everyone else's post, but I wanted to clarify one thing... here in the U.S. people sometimes refer to sulcata tortoises as spur thighs. Those guys are the third largest species of tortoise in the world and I read that you were looking to have one on the smaller side. Just wanted to make sure that common names didn't accidentally get mixed up so that you don't end up with a 40-50kg tortoise! Maybe verify the scientific names just to be on the safe side... the Hermann's tortoise is Testudo hermanni, Greek tortoise is Testudo graeca, and Russian tortoise is Testudo Agrionemys horsfieldii. The sulcatas are Geochelone [Centrochelys] sulcata.

Most of my experience is with the giant species (aldabra & sulcata), but I did work with some red foots (Chelonoidis carbonaria) as well and I thoroughly enjoyed them. All of the red foots that I've worked with have been very social and active. I've seen red foots that get to be 30-40 cm in diameter and weigh anywhere between 6-10 kg depending on male or female.

The type of care your tortoise will need will depend on the specific species that you get. Some are desert species and some are sub-tropical. Lighting, humidity, substrate, etc. will all be determined by species. I also have a blog about tortoises & tortoise care. Some of it refers specifically to sulcatas since that's what I have at home, but some of the info might still help you out (tortoisegarden.com)

Glad to see that you are interested in tortoises! Best of luck to you!!

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
From experience I recommend a Greek tortoise. They are not likely to grow over 10 inches and are very active. Russians and Hermanns tend to get about 2-3 inches larger but not too much of a size difference. I reccomend to make/get a tortoise able with coco fiber subtrate (I got mine at pet co for $10 per bag) I bought 2 bags so he can dig, a UV light (for the shell) rocks to climb (Greeks LOVE climbing), either a have or somewhere to hide, and a little "pool" to soak unless you wish to do that some place else. I reccomend to clean the subtrate if any food falls or feces on it to prevent rotting and bad odors. My tortoise table is has an upstairs portion so the top does not have dirt which helps for easy cleaning. Tortoises need a sense of night and day so turn of the light at night time. If it is necessary, you can use a heat pad or heat rock during he night time.
Here is a pic of my tortoise table for Rocky.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438029801.411978.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438029866.690646.jpgGood luck and I hope this information helped! :D Oh! And keep in mind hat some torts like to hibernate and it's ok to let them. Also be sure to research what food to eat (depending on the tortoise) but most of their diet is vegetables and for more vitamins you can sprinkle some crushed boiled egg shells or special powder found at pet stores. But too much of calcium can cause pyramiding. When the weather is right be sure to take your tort outside. Good luck! :)

Mammyjuls

Read and ask questions here about your species,
The good first one would be one that you can correctly care for.
If you plan to start off with a big species. One that grows large. Be prepared.
If you want a baby, it might be better to start with a closed chamber and not a tortoise table.
Research.
Some tortoises stay smallish and some grow to over 100 pounds.
What do you feel you would want?
Hi could you give me i formation on redfoot how big they get and what they eat and what care they need also have you got anypics of them please and have you got any pics of adults are these active as i want an active tortoise

Mammyjuls

Hi i have seen a
Mediterranean Spur thigh tortoises

Are these good ones and what sixe do they grow to what type are these please and thank you everyone for your help as i never buy any animals till i know every think about them i like to knsow every think before i buy any animal

Mammyjuls

Ok sorry to keep asking questions hope people dont mind
ok still not sure what enclouserto get
thought if i give you an idea of what my house hold is like people could help me out on what they think is best
ok i live in durham tyne and wear area and it is not warm weather there very often
We have a open plan dining room and living room and in the di ning room we have a proper fire thats were the tortoise will be kept
we also ha e two children o e 11 and one 3 and a corn snake and a labrdor dog the nake is in a viv so what do people think would be best encloser viv or table thanks again

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes still need to do some more resurch as still unsure on what houseing will be best as all inclosed will be eaiser to keep temp and every think right but when reasrching some people say if they kept in one of them then they can get breathing propblems
so best to have table so still not sure what to get if i go for table will be made by my husband if go for other will buy it trying to work out with one is best
They shouldn't get breathing problems if the temps and humidity are right
A good thing to remember is

cold + humidity = sick tort
heat+ humidity = healthy tort

and also that humid doesn't mean wet.
You will need a covered area with humid hide even on a table or your tort could be too dry, and his shell will start to pyramid,
A digital temp/humidity meter is best for measuring these and a temp gum (£7 Amazon)is good to spot check areas for your 4 temps rather than a fixed thermometer the pet shops sell.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok sorry to keep asking questions hope people dont mind
ok still not sure what enclouserto get
thought if i give you an idea of what my house hold is like people could help me out on what they think is best
ok i live in durham tyne and wear area and it is not warm weather there very often
We have a open plan dining room and living room and in the di ning room we have a proper fire thats were the tortoise will be kept
we also ha e two children o e 11 and one 3 and a corn snake and a labrdor dog the nake is in a viv so what do people think would be best encloser viv or table thanks again
Morning Juls,

Have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what people use and do to make enclosures. Some use tables but adapt them so they are enclosed with plastic etc. There are a lot of ideas.

If I was starting with a baby tort I would go with as big a viv as possible to contain heat and humidity and to last him longer. As they grow you will prob have to change to something bigger and a min of 4x8' is recommended for almost fully grown smaller species. You may be able to buy second hand on gumtree, ebay etc (but sterilise it safely with tort friendly stuff first)
You are going to need room for hides, plants, water/food dishes as well plenty of space for the tort to move about.

I'm guessing your real fire isn't lit all the time, so unless you also have central heating rads on too, your ambient room temp will drop especially during winter when it will get pretty cold up there I know! My gas and elec bills have shot up this last year!

As for the dog you will have to be very careful - there are some very sad stories here about normally calm and trusted dogs (and cats) who have seriously injured/killed torts when they have become scared or jealous or just think the tort is a toy. Use the search facility to read the posts and see the pics - not very nice reading!

Mammyjuls

Dos anyone now of any good place to buy a tortoise from in tyne and wear area ?? Or ehat kind of places should i buy one from repitile shop or breeders

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Dos anyone now of any good place to buy a tortoise from in tyne and wear area ?? Or ehat kind of places should i buy one from repitile shop or breeders
Ideally a breeder but they may be few and far between in the UK.
Mine was a rescue about 2/3 years old not quite as hard as a baby to care for in that they tolerate any mistakes slightly better - although the sooner those are corrected the better for the tort. I made lots but luckily I found this place which helped me correct everything before my tort suffered.
So maybe try the RSPCA if you are interested in rehoming.
Also there may be tortoise groups in your area who could help, try googling tortoise clubs /groups/societies etc The British Association of Tortoise Keepers (BATK) is based in Leamington Spa but they may have branches near you so contact them by email too.
I would suggest making sure that what ever you end up with you have everything ready and temps and humidity under control before bringing one home as it is less stressful for the tort and easier for you.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What they refer to in England as a Mediterranean spur-thigh tortoise is usually a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca.
I posted the link to their care sheet on the last page, post #13 .

Mammyjuls

What they refer to in England as a Mediterranean spur-thigh tortoise is usually a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca.
I posted the link to their care sheet on the last page, post #13 .
Hi ues i have had a read through them thank you very much i was just making sure the care sheets are great help thank you

Mammyjuls

We are thinking of doing a rwo story table but putting a mesh roof on it aswell going to get that done first and all the things needed so its all set up then get the tortoise when all set

Mammyjuls

I am looking at doing some think simaler to this put smaller than this one and with mesh top what do people think

I dont think it needs to be this big for one toroise

Mammyjuls

I like this but smaller with mesh top

Attachments

• 9pmiir.jpeg
    9pmiir.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 8